Gibson Brands Forums

more clarity PAF humbucker for Epiphone ES-345 / 355

downtoearth

Hi Guys,

I have Epiphone ES-345 with varitone (which, i don't really use it) & plan to change its original alnico V classic humbucker pickup as I find it too muddy (less clarity) at higher gain setting.

The amp:

I have attempted to do EQ setting on my amp, such as bass volume at 4 out of 10, middle volume 5.5 out of 10, and treble volume 7 out of 10. My amp uses 2 x El84.

The guitar: I have tried to adjust My guitar volume knobs both for the neck and bridge pickup with different settings. However, the overall sound at different volume knob settings & different pickup position keeps nasal at high-gain setting (for instance with gain 7 out of 10 & master volume 5 out of 10).

I might be wrong, but is it due the pickup quality? or is it due to my limited knowledge and just my hasty judgement?

My music style is mainly Brit pop / rock n roll. I wish to have more clarity in my semi-hollow guitar when it is engaged with high gain setting, especially when I do open chord (not power chord).

Besides, could anyone here recommend me great (preferably) low output humbucker pickups that focuses more on clarity? my budget is under $250

Furthermore, has anyone tried or installed humbucker sized p90 or mini humbucker in the ES 335 / 345 / 355? if anyone has done it, what would be your review about it?

Thank you very much for all of your inputs.

post-59501-020534200 1379841714_thumb.jpg

There is the question what you mean saying clarity. Each pickup design has its own strengths and shortcomings. Chances are that maybe you won't be satisfied with humbuckers just allowing for serial-circuit humbucker use. Perhaps it would be best for you changing to four-lead wired humbuckers in conjunction with four push/pull pots providing parallel coil and single coil options. This would enable you to push (and pull [biggrin] ) the given sound options to the limit, and would translate through any given high-quality amp and speaker.

On the other hand, I don't understand why you don't take advantage of the Varitone switch. I experienced that these are very great.

it sounds like you have a small Vox-type amp, may be similar to an AC15. I have struggled getting a usable tone with EL84's with any humbuckers. I have two AC 30's with 4 EL84's and they seem to do better with single coil pickups, Fender or P90's. My Marshalls handle humbuckers and single-coils better. They have EL34's in them. It seems as if humbuckers drive the Vox amps too hard, splitting the coils might not be a bad idea.

Archived