Gibson Brands Forums

Gratuitous Flying V pic: zebra SH-5 bridge pickup

tinman1

http://s754.photobucket.com/user/TinmanV/media/IMG_0788_zps6087449e.jpeg.html

A fairly gratuitous photo of my (gloss) cherry Flying V with recently swapped in Seymour Duncan SH-5 bridge humbucker in zebra. I found it quite hard to find a similar photo when researching how the zebra pickup would look.

Not as much of a tonal difference from the previous vintage output SD '59 bridge pup as I expected. Benefits: A bit tighter and doesn't "wash-out" so much under high gain. Better for chunky metal rhythms.

Compromise: Not so much of the woody PAF-esque tone played clean or lowish gain. More brittle sounding due to the ceramic magnet.

This V is so super-light and resonant I suspect it'll sound like itself whatever pickups I throw in! [thumbup]

And another gratuitous pic: I took the ceramic pups out of my Gloss V and put in 1980's Gibson PAF (Shaw-designed) pups. To my old ears they sound a little less washed out than the factory pups. Besides that, I always regretted not getting the new white 79 V with chrome covers that I saw in a store in 1980.

8524164355_a23855dcfd_z.jpg

That white V is a beauty!! Must admit I've considered covering the pups in mine.

How do you embed pics in the post like that? Didn't allow me to add a flickr or photobucket link.

I have covers on all my pups, I'm an old dude and they don't look right to me otherwise. They also offer a little protection from sweat and stuff.

You copy the BB code and paste it here: In Flickr, when you are viewing the pic in one of the larger views, there are some icons, on is "more ways to share". If you click that, a bunch of code appears. Make sure that the BB radio button underneath is selected, then copy the text there. You need the part that begins and ends with [img} I paste that text right into this window and the pic appears.

8524164443_09ff5fb98e_z.jpg

PhotoBucket does allow you to do that but I'm not sure how you get to it. I use Flickr and they give you the option of copying the HTML code or BB (bulletin board?) code.

Archived