Gibson Brands Forums

What about Ebony Block Les Paul SG's?

Custom Richard

Hi there,

I was wondering how many Les Paul SG's where equipped with the rare Ebony Block?

I've read somewhere that there are probably only 25 les Paul SG Custom's equipped with this type of ebony block and tremolo.

My 1962 SG custom is equipped with an Ebony block, but the trem is missing.

It has been replaced by a stop bar somewhere in the seventies.

To restore it in it's original condition will be difficult because there are two big holes drilled into the body and to find a gold plated tremolo with mounting pins for the ebony block will be like a needle in a haystack. :unsure:

This issue will drop the value of my guitar but I think it still worth some money as it has three PAF's and no neck repairs.

But if you have a tremolo.........with flat handle..........Gold plated................ :rolleyes:

Sorry Richard, but we all all have our "issues' with trying to make something "straight" again after someone in the past "had a better idea"......I feel your pain [thumbup]

Also sorry to say that once "original" is undone....It isn't ever "original" again.

Keep searching and you may find the piece that you need eventually.

It sounds like you are contemplating selling? If so, you may come out miles ahead by selling the pickups separately. Replace them and sell the guitar that way (with full disclosure) of course.

I never thought that I would say that ....BUT.... the market being 'what it is'...POOR.... The only stuff that is selling for good money (if at all) is prime, clean examples.

Just my 2cent worth!

Got any pictures?

Archived