Gibson Brands Forums

More mods to my 98 Les Paul

Jammin' Joe

I posted about my 98 Epi Les Paul before, when I first joined the forum. I scrapped the stock pickups and pots and threw in a set of 496 & 500 Gibson pickups. I used an Allparts Epi kit for the pots and caps and wired them to the 50's style set up. Well I just got some of those Russian K40P-2 caps off Ebay and I have to say that I'm glad I did. I think they give the 496/500 pickups a really nice tone. To my ears they took away any harshness and warmed up the tone. Best of all they were pretty cheap. So now I'm thinking of doing my Chinese Standard but using the K42Y-2's, just for something different. I haven't decided on pickups yet. I do have a 490R from a Gibson Studio laying around and an old Bill Lawrence L500, I believe that's what it is, that I thought about using. But I also might go with a set of 57's. Like I said, haven't really decided yet on what to do.

Does anybody here have any suggestions or preferences of their own on pickups, caps or wiring? What do you like best?

AQ7MkXX.jpg

good setup!

my V has the 496/500 ceramic set w/Emerson (NOS Russian) PIO cap

i've also used the same caps in my old Gibby LP

GarysCam290_zpse0d2b4af.jpg

GarysCam289_zps798581a5.jpg

anything I mod (which is almost everything) gets either those, or Orange drops.

some have a mix, OD's for the neck and Emersons for the bridge....whichever sounds best in each particular guitar, because they DO sound different !

Archived