Gibson Brands Forums

Gibson LP Special - overtones, empty strings

abcabc

Hello,

I have bought Gibson LP Special from 2001. When I play I hear quite a lot of overtones from open strings (when I don't mute open strings with my right hand). Is there any solution to minimise empty strings' overtones ringing?

Thanks

It's always about muting them with fretting or striking hand. You will have to get used to this habit.

Be assured, the very best guitars show the strongest droning of unmuted strings. In addition, some guitars may be more critical than others in case their pickups are sensitive to these overtones in particular. The Les Paul Traditional 2013 and the Fender American Deluxe Telecaster Ash with one-piece maple neck of mine are real beasts in this respect.

Thanks for the input. The guitar is exactly like this one:

The model that I have is a resonant guitar when played unplugged - I like this fact very much. Also, what comes to my mind is the problem that I described may be partially due to the new set of strings that I put, which in addition are of heavier gauge (D'Addario 0.13 - 0.56) - I am sure that only adds to the overtones appearance. Maybe in a few days, when the new set of strings loose their freshness the overtones will lessen a bit. Another thing which I noticed is that these overtones are the strongest with bridge pickup, less strong in a middle position, and the least strong in neck pickup. So, in a layman language, I can guess the overtones that I speak about appear mainly somewhere in a bridge area.

I am thinking what else can be done with this problem? Maybe changing the nut/bridge material?

Archived