Gibson Brands Forums

Recommended Reading

jdd707

I've been reading a couple of books that you all might enjoy.

First is Graham Nash's autobiography Wild Tales: A Rock and Roll Life. Not only interesting and frank but he is a very good writer. This is a much better book than Neil Young's recent book which hardly mentioned CSNY.

Secondly, I recommend the new bio of Johnny Cash .... Johnny Cash: The Life by Robert Hilburn. Did you know his name was not Johnny but rather J.R.Cash? No name, just initials. While joining the Air Force, he was told that J.R. would not do so he came up with John on the spot ...... later changed to Johnny for his stage name. I've only read 20% of the book and can tell it's worth my time.

Anyone read either? If so, what do you think?

I've been reading a couple of books that you all might enjoy.

First is Graham Nash's autobiography Wild Tales: A Rock and Roll Life. Not only interesting and frank but he is a very good writer. This is a much better book than Neil Young's recent book which hardly mentioned CSNY.

Secondly, I recommend the new bio of Johnny Cash .... Johnny Cash: The Life by Robert Hilburn. Did you know his name was not Johnny but rather J.R.Cash? No name, just initials. While joining the Air Force, he was told that J.R. would not do so he came up with John on the spot ...... later changed to Johnny for his stage name. I've only read 20% of the book and can tell it's worth my time.

Anyone read either? If so, what do you think?

Thanks for the heads up. I love Johnny Cash and will look for the book.

When I was in the army there was a urban legend going around about a guy named R.B. Jones. The army said full name for the dog tags. He wrote R(only) B(only) Jones as he only had initials. The dog tags came back Ronly Bonly Jones.

Yes I've been looking at that Johnny Cash bio for a kindle download.Looks the goods.Just ordered "Last Train to Memphis" the first part of the double Elvis bio by Peter Guralnick. Seems that those two books are considered the gold standard of musical bio's.I was hoping it might come out for kindle ...but for some reason it hasn't.So I'm awaiting a big house brick of a paperback.

When I was browsing Amazon in that genre I see a Beatles biographer has just released the first part of a 3 part series...only covers from 1958 to 1962 and comes in just under 1000 pages!Bloody hell it must document every baked bean sandwich that Ringo ate.

Archived