Gibson Brands Forums

What do we have here?

Johnny Rockit

OK so I have this Les Paul Classic and determining the year is a bit perplexing. It has serial # 01267x, says Les Paul Classic on the headstock script, Classic on the trussrod cover, bridge pickup cavity says LPPP+ 5, the neck cavity says DB and the initials(I think) JW, greenish inlays on the fretboard. It is Desertburst with a black back. I would assume it to be a Les Paul Classic Premium Plus and thought it to be a 2000. In checking the Gruhn's guide it says they did not do a Classic Premium Plus in 2000 nor does it have any reference to them being done in desert burst, the Vintage price guide says they were done 93 to 96 and then 2001 to 2002 also no reference to being done in desert burst? It is definitely a Gibson as real as the other dozen or so Lesters I have and is definitely desert burst but what year is it and why no feference to them being done in desertburst? Pics are below with one with the pickups removed (it rocks with the Tom Holmes pickups). Any help would be appreciated as it is driving me batty.

lpc.jpg

lpc2.jpg

01 267X dates from 2001.

As far as 1960 Classic serial numbers go;

1989 (first year) were all 9 XXX. Fewer than 1000 were made so that's why there are only three digits after the 9.

1990 to 1999 were Y XXXX where Y was the last digit of the year date and X was instrument number. 0 1267 would be guitar # 1267 of 1990, for example.

2000 to end of production was YY XXXX using last two year-digits (the first always being 0, of course). 01 2670 (or whatever your last digit is) dates, therefore, from 2001.

You are clearly correct with regards the LPPP and DB markings.

Bear in mind that books offer generalisations and there will often be exceptions to these 'rules'.

For example; on their introduction, the 1960 Classics were initially intended to be 'Plain-Tops' but I've seen some PP tops on Classics made long before '93.

Very Nice-looking Guit, BTW!................[thumbup]

P.

01 267X dates from 2001.

As far as 1960 Classic serial numbers go;

1989 (first year) were all 9 XXX. Fewer than 1000 were made so that's why there are only three digits after the 9.

1990 to 1999 were Y XXXX where Y was the last digit of the year date and X was instrument number. 0 1267 would be guitar # 1267 of 1990, for example.

2000 to end of production was YY XXXX using last two year-digits (the first always being 0, of course). 01 2670 (or whatever your last digit is) dates, therefore, from 2001.

You are clearly correct with regards the LPPP and DB markings.

Bear in mind that books offer generalisations and there will often be exceptions to these 'rules'.

For example; on their introduction, the 1960 Classics were initially intended to be 'Plain-Tops' but I've seen some PP tops on Classics made long before '93.

Very Nice-looking Guit, BTW!................[thumbup]

P.

Thanks

Yeah that's beautiful for sure I want one.

Thanks, I went through about 20 Lesters before picking this one out. I had not seen any DB Darkbacks in a classic and it plays nicely. Stuck a set of Tom Holmes pickups in her with .015 and.022 Vitamin Qs. She sounds sweet. She is number 14 for me and truly I was surprised at a Classic being as good as it is.

Archived