Gibson Brands Forums

volume loss on switching between pickups

I think this may be normal....unless it it is WAY excessive loss of volume. Always leave yourself a little volume pot increase on your guitar after adjusting your amp volume to the desired level. There are all sorts of 'variables' when playing an electric guitar with two pickups. Is this a new OR used guitar?

Hi,

i seem to be losing a bit of volume on my les paul studio when i put the switch in the middle position,

any ideas?,

thanks

Hello Blue and welcome here.

This is definitely normal. There always will cancel out some frequencies when operating pickups together, so this is no reason to worry about.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Hi,

i seem to be losing a bit of volume on my les paul studio when i put the switch in the middle position,

any ideas?,

thanks

I haven't wired a Les Paul before but I have wired other guitars and went through a painful learning process. Did you add in any new pickups? If so check the polarities. I swore up and down I had done wiring exactly as specified to learn what was specified was incorrect. When I tried the opposite of what I though was correct my volume came back up and I also had less noise. I acknowledge that my advice here is fairly general but hopefully it helps if that might be the cause.

Tom

Think of it this way....If you have a Neck P/up of 8K ohms and a Bridge P/up of 8K ohms and you 'toggle' between..... and have both P/ups together, you get a total of 4K ohms ,as they are usually wired in a Les Paul (parallel) .....If wired in series, you would get 16K ohms and a lot more 'growl'......which might NOT be pretty....[scared]

Where in the hell is Blue-Eeniee when you need him????

Archived