Gibson Brands Forums

Unusual SG - cream colored with gold hardware and Bigsby?

trapdoorspider

Can anybody tell me about a rather unusual SG I just picked up on eBay? It's a 1999 SG Special, but in an odd yellow/cream color, with ebony fretboard, gold hardware, and a Bigsby tailpiece (also gold). At first I thought the color was Classic White, which had yellowed with age (though it's not really that old), but underneath the pickguard it's still kinda yellow, not white or even off-white.

The serial number is 91249380, which I'm told means it was made in Nashville on May 4, 1999. The fact that paint is in the original tailpiece post holes tells me a regular tailpiece was never installed, and the Bigsby was installed at the factory.

It's not a repaint job, I'm pretty sure.

My questions are: Was this some limited run, or maybe a special model made for Music123 or Musicians Friend? And what color is this thing supposed to be? Did Gibson actually make cream-colored SGs?

I'd post a picture here, but I don't know how . . .

Here are the pics for you

a5d1_3.jpg

70bf_3.jpg

A link to his auction

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=200290409967&indexURL=0#ebayphotohosting

The seller says that the bigsby is a retrofit so it is not a factory peice. It could be a musician freinds special made for them as it really doesn't match the one he points out at musician freind. It is cool looking.

The tailpiece stud holes/sockets are still there, partially covered by the Bigsby. They are not filled in, or refinished, but the threads ARE filled with yellow paint. No tailpiece was ever screwed into those holes. I've since taken the guitar completely apart for cleaning, and I'm almost positive it has not been repainted, so all I can think is somebody at the factory decided to not install the regular stop tailpiece and instead mounted the Bigsby.

The ebony fretboard is rather unusual too, no?

Like I said, maybe this was a special limited run for MF or some other online retailer. I know that Music123 offered a Classic White SG Standard for a while when nobody else seemed to sell them, so maybe this was something like that.

Hello I am new to the forum but this post caught my eye. I also have this creme colored sg with the gold hardware. though it does not have the bigsby. It was built on Aug 1st 2000. I bought it new at our local music store and I was looking for an SG. I was going to order one from Musicians Friend but when I seen this hanging on the wall I had to get it. The salesman did not know anything about the unique look but said he had not seen these colors on an sg before. At the time I just figured he was giving me a line so that I would buy it. I remember looking it up after I bought it (though I don't remember where) and finding out that it was a limited edition but I would like more info.

P.S. I don't know the difference between an ebony frettboard and a rosewood. If someone could define this for me it would be helpfull. I will try and post a pic when I figure out how.

Hello I am new to the forum but this post caught my eye. I also have this creme colored sg with the gold hardware. though it does not have the bigsby. It was built on Aug 1st 2000. I bought it new at our local music store and I was looking for an SG. I was going to order one from Musicians Friend but when I seen this hanging on the wall I had to get it. The salesman did not know anything about the unique look but said he had not seen these colors on an sg before. At the time I just figured he was giving me a line so that I would buy it. I remember looking it up after I bought it (though I don't remember where) and finding out that it was a limited edition but I would like more info.

P.S. I don't know the difference between an ebony frettboard and a rosewood. If someone could define this for me it would be helpfull. I will try and post a pic when I figure out how.

Ebony boards are very dark and hard' date=' they are more expensive but give a crisper zingier tone. You can tell the difference in this pic...

[img']http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v715/adamsmith90/Untitledz.jpg[/img]

The acoustic has a rosewood board, the LP Studio has an ebony one.

Here are some picks of my 2000 SG Limited Edition. I bought this new in 2000 and it has been my main guitar for 8 years. I have played it faithfully and have played 100s of gigs with it. And it shows in wear, but hey its worn in perfectly. the only problem I have ever had was I had to get the frets smoothed out a year ago. I think the fretboard is ebony because it looks like the other picks I have seen. The one and only discription I could find on it says that it is rosewood but I have never seen a rosewood this dark. Any opinion on this would be greatly appreciated. Thanks Rob B

guitarpics.jpg

100_1750.jpg

100_1740.jpg

That is not the same as the ones talked about in this post. That one is just a white SG. not a limited edition of the creame and gold ones on this post.

Its not exactly the same as the others but its not just a white SG, Its a '3 knob Special' it has gold hardware and an ebony board.

• 12 years later...