Gibson Brands Forums

Pickup Issue on Les Paul 100

jamminrebel

I have an Epiphone Les Paul 100. Bought it new last spring and it played perfectly. Suddenly I have lost all response from rhythm position pickup and treble position pickup has lost a lot but not all response. I have double checked the cord and amp with other guitars so I know they are not the problem. I took a quick look at the wiring and everything still looks ok. Has anyone else ever had this problem??

I have an Epiphone Les Paul 100. Bought it new last spring and it played perfectly. Suddenly I have lost all response from rhythm position pickup and treble position pickup has lost a lot but not all response. I have double checked the cord and amp with other guitars so I know they are not the problem. I took a quick look at the wiring and everything still looks ok. Has anyone else ever had this problem??

First, welcome to the forum.

Next, it would sure help a lot if you be a little more specific in describing the problem. When you say you have lost all response from the neck pup, where is the pup switch engaged? Is it in the middle or on the neck pup? Same with the bridge pup.

Did this just happen overnight? Or was it slowly?

Also, if you have the switch in the middle, are you making sure not to turn the volume all the way down on one of the pups? This would cause no response from the other pup unless wired for independent control (something I do to all my epis).

Epiphone has a history of using poor switches in their guitars. Often they need to be worked on, or replaced.

Epiphone has a history of using poor switches in their guitars. Often they need to be worked on, or replaced.

Agreed, I came here to say that this sounds like a switch problem. Sometimes the contacts need to be bent back into place or sometimes you need to replace the whole switch. Usually when I have this problem my tech just adjusts the contacts and it's good as new.

First, welcome to the forum.

Next, it would sure help a lot if you be a little more specific in describing the problem. When you say you have lost all response from the neck pup, where is the pup switch engaged? Is it in the middle or on the neck pup? Same with the bridge pup.

Did this just happen overnight? Or was it slowly?

Also, if you have the switch in the middle, are you making sure not to turn the volume all the way down on one of the pups? This would cause no response from the other pup unless wired for independent control (something I do to all my epis).

switch is on the neck pup, when in middle I get just slightly less response than when on bridge pup, all volume and tone knobs are turned to 10

Archived