Gibson Brands Forums

ES 150 Need help dating

trobinson

Greetings All :)

I recently bought this ES 150 as part of a collection from a co-worker back in Ontario that was selling everything off to move into his boat. There is no serial number on the neck anywhere, and the only stamped numbers inside the body are H-J 53 as well as a hand written 21. From all of the pictures I have seen it seems to me that this has had some work done to it as the tailpiece does not seem to match anything I've seen. The tuning heads are stamped Gibson Deluxe. Any help would be greatly appreciated as I now have to start downsizing myself, and I don't want to end up selling myself short. Thanks :)

post-62806-045272400 1390245070_thumb.jpg

post-62806-083768900 1390245082_thumb.jpg

post-62806-060872300 1390245099_thumb.jpg

post-62806-046853700 1390245112_thumb.jpg

post-62806-087105200 1390245124_thumb.jpg

Greetings All :)

I recently bought this ES 150 as part of a collection from a co-worker back in Ontario that was selling everything off to move into his boat. There is no serial number on the neck anywhere, and the only stamped numbers inside the body are H-J 53 as well as a hand written 21. From all of the pictures I have seen it seems to me that this has had some work done to it as the tailpiece does not seem to match anything I've seen. The tuning heads are stamped Gibson Deluxe. Any help would be greatly appreciated as I now have to start downsizing myself, and I don't want to end up selling myself short. Thanks :)

Hey there ... I am in Ontario myself and I'm interested in an ES 150 ..... I am looking for a pre-war ... but life is about compromise. If you would like to contact me personally feel free

my-music@bell.net. Thanks

I agree with you on this guitar. This guitar is a mismash of whatever..........the headstock looks to be phonyied as well as the body with the added pickup in the wrong position as well as the tailpiece and the finish looks to be a non-Gibson finish as I owned an ES-150 back years ago.........the entire guitar does not look like any Gibson that I have ever seen....sorry not trying to be a purveyer of bad news but looks like somebody got kind of ripped off with this guitar if they sold it to you as a Gibson ES-150 of the early 1950s............jim in Maine

I agree with you on this guitar. This guitar is a mismash of whatever..........the headstock looks to be phonyied as well as the body with the added pickup in the wrong position as well as the tailpiece and the finish looks to be a non-Gibson finish as I owned an ES-150 back years ago.........the entire guitar does not look like any Gibson that I have ever seen....sorry not trying to be a purveyer of bad news but looks like somebody got kind of ripped off with this guitar if they sold it to you as a Gibson ES-150 of the early 1950s............jim in Maine

Thanks for the info folks.....better to know the truth now than be accused later of trying to scam somebody like it appears I was. It's a shame too, because it plays nice & sounds great. I knew a bluesman back home that played it & told me it was the one I should keep.

I know where this fellows boat is & it never comes out of the water.....

Are you sure that this isn't an ES-125 or ES-135 due to the dot markers? jim in Maine

On the ES-150, the dots weren't changed to trapezoids until 1950. The ES-135 always had trapezoids, not dots.

The ES-150 is also wider (17") than an ES-125 (16 1/4").

On the ES-150, the dots weren't changed to trapezoids until 1950. The ES-135 always had trapezoids, not dots.

The ES-150 is also wider (17") than an ES-125 (16 1/4").

Mine being a 1948 means it has the dots.

That's a 1948 Gibson ES 150 for reference.

AWESOME GUITAR I've been hoping/praying/saving/wondering what I can sell to get a pre-war "150". I have the original mint 35-36 amp with the original slip cover ... just gotta find a mate for her :)

77ee0101.png

Archived