Gibson Brands Forums

An oddball 37 L-4

tpbiii

Has anyone ever seen one of these. It is a 1937 round hole L-4 with a Nick Lucas fingerboard.

I know a few exist -- of course we have one -- but have others seen any. The round hole was a short run in 1937. Is there any connection between the fretboard and the round hole. Are there rounds hole 37 L-4s with dot fingerboards or f-hole L-4s with Nick Lucas fingerboards?

l4fronts.jpg

l4front1s.jpg

l4heads.jpg

l4tuners.jpg

It looks like it was an export.

l4label.jpg

Thanks,

-Tom

That looks like a made for export sticker..my Pointsettia has the same , bought new in Ontartio.. Nice L4... Ive seen those before with the Lucas styles inlays..

We actually bought it at a flea market long ago -- it was in a cardboard case and the pickguard was actually dissolved into the case. Even then, the tuners were worth more than we paid for the whole guitar. I bought it in Georgia, but it was a really big flea market. My guess is that it first went to Canada long ago.

Best,

-Tom

We actually bought it at a flea market long ago -- it was in a cardboard case and the pickguard was actually dissolved into the case. Even then, the tuners were worth more than we paid for the whole guitar. I bought it in Georgia, but it was a really big flea market. My guess is that it first went to Canada long ago.

Best,

-Tom

Thats all possible about the canadian thing... I dont know if other countries had that applied or not..

I agree with everyone on the 'export model' idea. I had dug up info supporting this a while back. This is the first pic I have seen of that interior label however.

Very stylish-looking guitar.....Nice find and in very good hands [thumbup] .

Tom, I've seen similar guitars, round hole Nick Lucas inlays. The late 30s L4 F hole had the Nick Lucas inlays, seems that was standard on those.

Terry

Thanks Terry. That is the answer to my question. You are the man.

Best,

-Tom

Archived