Gibson Brands Forums

Quick Thank You to Epiphone

DiabeticDave

May not be the place to do so, but the 24/7 comment section only allows me 1000 characters...

Dear Epiphone,

I would like to take a small portion out of my time to thank you for a terrific product. Approximately 6 years ago I bought an Epiphone starter pack that included an SG, Studio 10S amplifier, soft carry case and a few other beginner essentials. Being my first guitar, I have learned not only to play on this guitar but to perform basic maintenance as well. This guitar has learned with me and held up extremely well. Being a college student I have very little cash to spend on strings and other basic maintenance, however this guitar has needed very little maintenance. After 6 years I have only replaced 2 strings, I have 1 small scratch on the body and mold growing on the neck. Do not mistake this as a bad thing, considering the initial price point this guitar has more than paid for itself. Even with these problems the guitar stays in tune and maintains its tune for weeks amazingly. I would only compare this guitar to an AK-47. If you are not a gun person, then think of it as Willie Nelson’s Martin without the gigantic hole in it (and its an electric). It is a TANK. It is a cheap, but extremely efficient guitar.

In closing, I would like to thank you for producing an amazing product that has allowed me to learn on and take the next steps towards becoming a good guitar player. I do not see myself becoming a professional player by any means, but this guitar has sparked my interest in becoming the best player I can.

Sincerely,

David Bourland

Welcome Dave. Good to hear you're happy with your Epi. Interested to hear about the mold, guitars don't usually go moldy :-k. But they do need cleaning occasionally [smile]. Could you post a pic?

And something that might improve your enjoyment of playing, after having it for 6 years, buy a new set of strings. It will feel better, play easier, and stay in tune better. There's lots of 'how to' vids on youtube, or your local guitar shop will do it for a small fee. Mostly strings get changed after a few weeks or months.

Don't worry I do know how to change strings, but oddly enough or maybe just surprisingly I can't really afford strings right now. Every penny I've got is going towards other things each month; food, books, gas, insurance, netflix, school supplies. Not to mention saving for next semester's tuition and housing costs. I cant wait to buy new strings and have the feel of soft nickle plated light strings, but just not in the budget right now when the old ones are still going strong. As far as the mold goes, well it happens... I'll get around to cleaning it eventually but as they say: if it ain't broke don't fix it. And as far as time goes, its just like money at the moment. All the time I have goes into eating, sleeping, class, studying and maybe I get 2 hours of playing time each day (hopefully).

Just stating that my Epi has held up very very very very well with the abuse that this poor musician has given it.

Dave, welcome to the Forum and to the wonderful world of guitars and making music. It is said that playing music is the only activity that requires both sides of your brain. I believe that!

Again, Welcome! Study hard, make us proud! :-)

Pete

you really picked a great starter kit,much better than the fender squire starter that alot of my students have.lol. [thumbup] are you sure the "mold" you speak of isnt just finger gunk on the fret board?thats pretty common and shows up as a layer of black on the frets.i have never really seen penicillin like green or white mold on a guitar but its probably possible in a high humidity climate or a poorly insulated dorm.

Archived