Gibson Brands Forums

Epiphone Les Paul Tribute Neck Shape?

iankinzel

Hi all,

I'm thinking of picking up an Epiphone Les Paul Tribute Plus, but I can't find any to try out. I've heard such great things about this model and the specs sound amazing, but I want to know about the neck shape - is it a C or a D? I have a Gibson SG with a C shape, and while I've gotten used to it, D has always been a more natural fit for me. (I play a lot of barre chords and jazz chords). The Epiphone website just says "1960s SlimTaper," but specifies "SlimTaper D profile" for other models. Neck thickness doesn't matter to me, just the shape.

Can any LP Tribute owners help me out here? Or, if you own an affordable Gibson LP with a D neck shape, let me know too.

When looking at and touching mine I would clearly call it C shaped. But despite of that, you better beware of this guitar - it is pretty likely you might want to keep her! [biggrin] Mine is definitely close to her five "Gibson Sisters" of mine in everything but her price. [thumbup]

That's how they got advertised....

Neck Shape Options: 1960's SlimTaper™, D Profile

Neck Joint: Vintage "Deep-Set", Glued-In

http://www.epiphone.com/News/Features/Features/2013/The-Epiphone-Les-Paul-Tribute-Plus.aspx

Think I will have to learn a lot more - don't like to admit that but I obviously changed neck shapes by mistake for over thirty years [blush]

Does "Deep-Set" mean something like Long Tenon?

Yep, long tenon

all T+ owners I can think of speak of a thin D-shaped neck.....

Perhaps my misunderstanding comes from my personal cursive. My school reports on it were poor all the time... [crying]

They should have told me that my writing style could make me unable to evaluate guitar neck profiles, but I guess that woudn't have impressed me that much in my younger years. :unsure:

Guess the teachers didn't know that, too [biggrin]

Perhaps my misunderstanding comes from my personal cursive. My school reports on it were poor all the time... [crying]

They should have told me that my writing style could make me unable to evaluate guitar neck profiles, but I guess that woudn't have impressed me that much in my younger years. :unsure:

Guess the teachers didn't know that, too [biggrin]

Be that as it may capmaster but I would also describe my Tribute as definitely C shaped no matter what Epiphone say. On the other hand, the neck on my Epi ES345 is without a doubt D shaped. I just can't C it with the Tribute.

Be that as it may capmaster but I would also describe my Tribute as definitely C shaped no matter what Epiphone say. On the other hand, the neck on my Epi ES345 is without a doubt D shaped. I just can't C it with the Tribute.

To be honest, I'm in a total confusion now. [confused]

I always thought the typical Slim Taper necks were called C shaped, and the late '50s necks D shaped... When looking at my Fenders, their advertisements also confirm what I thought before. Finally, I believed for over thirty years my 1978 S-G's neck was C shaped, but at the moment I just don't know anymore :(

Thanks everybody! I hadn't seen the June 2013 press release for the Tribute Plus series, and that's very comforting. Generally, if Epiphone promotes something as SlimTaper D, then it has been what I think of and ask for as a slim D. For me, the "SlimTaper D" profile is a huge selling point for an Epiphone over a Gibson, even if the Gibson costs the same as the Epiphone.

To answer capmaster's question about the late '50s necks, I think those are being called U-shape nowadays (if we're talking about the "baseball bat" style). If there are shoulders on the edges with a slight flat spot in the middle of the back of the neck, then it's either D or U; D is slim, U is fat. If there aren't any shoulders and the middle of the back is rounded, then it's C. (This is of course leaving out stuff like V necks and the like).

Please correct me if I'm wrong, anybody.

Archived