Gibson Brands Forums

Custom SG advice

secondcitysin

I put my ibanez rg up for trade and this guy is offering me an SG with a home installed 3rd pickup. It's Seymour Duncan double humbucker. The guitar itself is just a simple SG, black. I guess it was done by the previous owner. My concern is the price. Is my mint ibanez rg 350 ex worth the trade? How much is the guitar worth if there's a home installed 3rd pickup? I don't have really any Gibson or epiphone experience. Let alone SG's. Please help me out. Thanks guys.

Check the current Guitar Blue Book, http://www.bluebookofguitarvalues.com/?gclid=CKq1q4jP77wCFe5aMgodbi4ASg

for relative values, on each model. Then subtract some 30-50%, for the "mod"

he or the previous owner did, and you should have an idea, if it's "worth it,

to you," to do the trade. Frankly, if it were me, I'd save some money, and buy

an SG outright, and have one that hasn't been "modded," unless of course, you like

the mod, enough to overlook the difference.

Good Luck!

CB

+1 what CB said. That's a good link, as it shows some of the differences in Epiphone SG types, from laminate bodies and bolt-on necks, through the standard models to the higher end Japanese ranges, so it pays to know exactly which SG you're looking at. In the UK, the 'standard' SG, the G400, is about £50 less new than the RG350. So unless you're being offered something made in Japan then it's not going to be an even trade.

Archived