Gibson Brands Forums

STrange serial number a little help here

Bluesman61

Some mid 70s Gibsons had their serial number and model name on an oval decal, gold letter/numbers on a clear background if I remember correctly. The oval footprint you're showing is simial in size and shape. I don't think they had any kind of impression into the wood.... maybe? The '2' above your serial number indicates a factory second, which was common then.

Sorry I can't be more help.

77gibser.jpg

I have seen an oval decal sticker but never one set into the wood like yours I also have only seen a #2 at the start or above the serial number when it is a factory 2nd being a factory 2nd is something that happened a great deal when GIbson was trying to get back on top of it's QC game *)o(* the link is a GIBSON serial number identification site it might help you in this case

GUITAR DATER SERIAL NUMBER

From this single picture it looks legit to me, too. Three-strip construction, open book shape, size proportions, volute, and Grover Mini machine heads match the time of origin to my knowledge. I also have seen oval stamped factory 2nd Gibsons before which I am sure of being legit.

They should reintroduce the factory 2nd thing in my opinion. So everyone who is not that high on looks could afford a genuine Gibson a little easier, and they would have to cut up less fine players with inferior looks.

Archived