Gibson Brands Forums

Here's an amp question

SGJ

Not sure where to post this, so I'll post it here.

I have two 60 watt Fender combo tube amps. Would I be able to plug a small 12 watt tube amp (head) into one of them instead of getting a speaker cabinet? Is this safe to do?

Can I run the 12watt amp into the combo without disconnecting anything on the combo? As I think this through it probably wouldn't work. I was just trying to figure out a way to get sound from the 12 watt amp by using one of my current combo amps.

You can do it. Unplug the speaker from the combo and plug it into the head. A couple of cautions:

- Make sure that the impedance of the amp and speaker match (there is some leeway with some amps, but better safe than sorry).

- NEVER turn on a tube amp (your head or combo) without a load (speaker) connected to it.

I have the opportunity to buy a little 12 watt custom made amp and if I bought it I'd like to try it out with my band and at home without having to buy a speaker cabinet. If I decided I liked the amp, I'd pick up a cabinet for it, but if I don't like it I'd sell the head. So as long as the impedance is a match I should be able to plug the head straight into the combo speaker, but make sure I don't turn the combo amp on when the speaker is disconnected.

That's correct; don't turn on the 12 watt head without a speaker either. Also, depending on how much wattage the speaker can handle, be careful about cranking up the 12 watt amp; if it handles more than 12 watts, you should be good to go.

Archived