Gibson Brands Forums

WEIRD Goth Explorer

JackBullet

So, I've recently come into the possession of an Epiphone '58 Reissue Goth Explorer. Going from the serial number, it is a 2003. There are several very odd things about this guitar, though. The most noticeable being the strange, Ibanez-like shark tooth inlay on the neck. Another big difference is the lack of a kill switch on the lowest volume knob. I've seen a few Goth series, and they all have that kill switch, but this guy just has three normal knobs. The last major difference is a Seymour Duncan bridge pickup, but that's easily explained, as the previous owner is 80% sure that the PREVIOUS previous owner prefers them and most likely replaced it.

So what's the verdict here? Do I have a highly self-customized version of this guitar? A special edition? An early prototype? A knock-off? I have no earthly idea!

post-64347-004409500 1395763239_thumb.jpg

post-64347-054142400 1395763252_thumb.jpg

The 12th inlay is correct. Not sure about the rest of the inlays. Are they stick-ons, maybe? Or perhaps the original owner routed the fretbard for those inlays. Its not supposed to have any inlays except for the 12th. As for the kill switch, it was probably removed by the previous owner. An easy job to do.

Gothexplorer.jpg

The 12th inlay is correct. Not sure about the rest of the inlays. Are they stick-ons, maybe? Or perhaps the original owner routed the fretbard for those inlays. Its not supposed to have any inlays except for the 12th. As for the kill switch, it was probably removed by the previous owner. An easy job to do.

Gothexplorer.jpg

Oh, okay! So if I were to bring it into a guitar tech, do you think would it be terribly expensive to have the kill switch put back and/or remove the inlay?

The kill switch should be easy. You just have to have your tech order one and install it. It shouldnt be pricey, but I dont know what that type of job costs.

If the inlays are real (and not stick-ons), I'm afraid you are stuck with them. There is no going back from that without replacing the fretboard.

• 3 weeks later...

Archived