Gibson Brands Forums

Advise on a semi hollow epiphone guitar

sunshinewelly

I fancy adding a semi hollow guitar to my collection and currently looking at a natural epi 335 pro which i can buy for £247 new or a mint second hand MIC sheraton 2 from 2012 for around £320 or a 2007 MIK sheraton 2 for around £320.

I also have my eye on a peerless hardtail for around £400.

I like the bling of the sheraton but note that the 335-pro has new upgraded pups whereas the sheraton does not. Also found out that the peerless has epiphone 57 classic pups (old and not that great i understand).

any views?

is the sheraton a step above the 335 pro taking into account the extra bling but also taking account the higher specced pups on the 335 pro

also will the korean models be a step above the chinese models. i note that the neck of the korean models has the nice stripes which the new chinese ones dont have (5 piece neck i understand).

i have also heard though that the korean models were not as accurate as the new chinese models and that the new chinese models are getting a match for the korean models.

I am not against chinese guitars as my EVH wolfgang special was a chinese made guitar and was the best finished and set up guitar i have ever bought - perfect out of the box

I think we're talking in some ways about preferences of opinion more than basic "quality," and the degree to which you value appearance.

I have two Dots from China, both recent ones. Both magnificent for what they are, regardless of price tag. Then again, that's just my opinion.

The Chinese-made are awfully nice and, with the later-model pups and pots and switch, I've been pleased.

Personally I'd get the 335 Pro on grounds that it's likely as playable or more so, with more playing options (coil taps), than the others. Then again, it's a matter of opinion.

Any would serve well, IMHO, although the recent Epi electricals are as good as anybody's.

There have been threads here on comparisons of Korean vs more recent Chinese Epis, and frankly much seems to be a matter of "I have this one and I love it" as well as "pots and switches" or "playability" discussion.

My opinion overall is that regardless I'd get the 335 Pro, it's your cash and your needs. I'd prefer a new instrument largely on grounds of warranty as well as the current electrical quality.

Then again, it's your money, your choice and you have options that would make most players happy regardless.

m

Without trying out the guitars all you can do is listen then to perhaps a utube video. I bought a es-339Pro and for what I do it is okay.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JRIbb0yYRII

But then that does not cover all the models so there are other videos also somewhere and from other people also.

??

The choice is yours.

for the price I paid for my es-339 Pro I suppose I shall not complain, as like any guitar, it can be for ya or not for ya, and it shipped fine and came in fine and all set up.

And of course you can buy one of every model also.

[biggrin]

Okay a little humor there.

Well, the Sheraton is the "top of the line" in Epi "Semi's!"

I think the newer pickups are supposed to be quite decent.

But, one can always replace those, as wanted/needed! I've

always liked the extra "bling" that a Sheri has! But, it's

not my money, so get whichever one, you prefer. Play a LOT

of all of them, as much, and as often as you can, prior to

your purchase. It's really the only way, to be sure. IMHO,

as always.

CB

I do think one thing about all the semis, full-size like the 335 etc., or the smaller 339: They're gonna feel a lot different from a board guitar or even a full hollow or flattop.

I got my first semi specifically to be a winter/bad weather backup for the full hollow.

The geometry of the 335 size and thin body shape is a lot different, IMHO, from a solidbody or arch/flattop.

So the advice to play it a bunch has a cupla bits of good reasoning behind it. You also may want to consider playing it higher than most folks play a board guitar. E.g., look at the way BB holds his. Each of us has a different geometry, but IMHO the 335 size feels as if the neck is longer than it is compared to the same scale on a a full hollow with the thicker body. Getting a comfortable geometry with the neck will bring a bit of difference to how one plays the thing.

m

Archived