Gibson Brands Forums

Weatherchecking on new(ish) instruments.

pippy

On the subject of ageing, has anyone much experience concerning 'weatherchecking' on (relatively) new instruments?

Although my LP is 14 years old it was, when I bought it eight months ago, in perfect condition, as it had been part of a collection and was never played.

Following on from a posting from last summer from a member who had noticed some lacquer crazing on his gold-top I examined mine the next day. It had two or three very small craze-lines near the cutaway-neck joint. On subsequent viewing, it seems to be acquiring more 'checking on a daily basis!

No problem as I think it will be cool to have a guitar that has aged properly. When I'm 100 years old it should look really nice!!

In a complete about-face from it's previous life the guitar is now always out (never in it's case) but the house has a fairly steady temperature etc.

lo-res_MG_8160.jpg

lo-res_MG_8165.jpg

lo-res_MG_8166detail.jpg

lo-res_MG_8171.jpg

lo-res_MG_8164.jpg

lo-res_MG_8168.jpg

The thing I think is odd is that the checking runs in both directions; with and across the grain. Is this normal/common?

Is this due to it being a re-issue and having 'thin-skin' Nitro lacquer?

Anyone out there with a similar experience?

Pippy, those are quite prominent, but not in an unattractive way. Maybe your nitro was a particularly thin coat. Even though your house could be maintained at a fairly steady temperature, it's inevitable that there will be changes in humidity. Wood takes up, and loses moisture depending on its surroundings, and this takes place regardless of the type of finish on the guitar. What will be different is the rate at which this happens.

Wood changes dimensions with changes in temperature and humidity, and undergoes more extreme change with exposure to sunlight, so it's inevitable that eventually some lacquers will craze. My Japanese Strat reissue (1999) has a nitro finish, and is gradually developing fine lines which follow the grain. I don't mind this, as it helps to hide the fact that the body is 3 piece ! My 1980 Les Paul Custom has some checking in the neck/body joint area. I've seen this in quite a few others. There is checking on the headstock also, but none on the body.

In small print on the Gibson box my Studio came in it warns about sudden changes in temp!

You'd never notice it.... Its -7 here at the moment and the guitar felt cold for ages but being a studio I didnt need to worry.... Took a few days to settle down... I think it had been in an un heated warehouse over the weekend..

Flight959

Thanks for your info, guys.

I think you are all correct; it must be the humidity. We have a Mid-Victorian era house (even older than my 'Favourite Pick' - see other thread) with no double glazing. Tut-tut!!

I'm enjoying the ageing process (of my guitar) thoroughly.

Best to you all.

Archived