Gibson Brands Forums

Epiphone DR-100 vs. PR-150 - The Final/Official Answer

Cubs Fan Bob

Have seen a few questions on this topic both here and in a few other forums, so I thought I'd share the response I received from Gibson Customer Service when I asked: "Hi there - what are the differences between the Epiphone DR-100 and PR-150 acoustic guitars? Thanks, Bob"

Hello Bob,

Thanks for writing. The PR-150 model is essentially the same as the DR-100 which was made available through select retailers.

In the late 1990's, I believe, Epiphone changed the name of the PR line to DR and changed some of the numbering along with a few minor details on some of the models. Some PR and DR models may have even overlapped for a short period, but I dont recall off the top of my head. I think the PR-E series came out around that time as well. Since then, Epiphone sometimes releses DR models under the PR name for special promotions and such.

I'm guessing that they wanted to re-launch the Presentaion series as a thin-bodied acoustic-electric line that was a little flashier than their dreadnaught line and geared toward people playing gigs and whatnot. "Presentation", right? [smile] Maybe PR stands for "promotion" these days. :lol:

Archived