Gibson Brands Forums

Legrand Vs L7 C

Dick Couture

Hello,

(I posted the message below to the "new member introduction forum" but thought my question might get a better response in this forum.)

I'm new to this forum so first I'll give a brief background and then post a question regarding Archtop guitars. I've been playing guitar since I was 16 years old, currently I'm 66. I was taught by a teacher who played with big bands in the 1940's. He played a Super 400 Archtop (acoustic NOT electric) that hooked me on Archtop guitars ever since. In 1965, I purchased a ES-175D that I still own today. I use it all the time playing with a local ballroom dance band. Frankly, I think this 50 year old guitar plays better today than when it was new.

In 1999, I purchased a Gibson Legrand (Johnny Smith style Archtop - floating pickup, etc.) This is a truly wonderful instrument that has a great acoustic/electric tone. The Legrand projects acoustically very well but I always wondered how it would compare to non-electric acoustic Archtops.

Now my question. I'm looking for opinions on the Gibson L7-C built in Bozeman Montana. How does it compare acoustically to the Legrand? I fully understand that it would be best to actually play one, but I haven't found one at any of the local Boston area music shops.

I've posted a photo of my two Archtops. I look forward to hearing your opinions.

**** Couture

The la grande should be a X brace .. No? the L7 is a ladder brace?

No.

From Gibson's website:

"Every acoustic guitar made by Gibson features hand-scalloped, radiused top bracing inside the body, a feature normally found only in limited run, hand-made guitars. By scalloping each brace by hand, the natural sound of the acoustic is focused more toward the center of the body, enhancing the instrument’s sound projection. The lightweight bracing pattern inside the Custom L-7C Acoustic Archtop is a recreation of the acoustic archtop “X” bracing used by Gibson in the early 1900s. Like the bracing inside Gibson’s famed Super Jumbos, the archtop “X” bracing pattern is constructed to support and strengthen a very large surface, thus allowing the top more freedom of movement and focusing the sound toward the center of the body. The result is maximum sound projection, and Gibson’s incomparable acoustic tone."

Danny W.

No.

From Gibson's website:

"Every acoustic guitar made by Gibson features hand-scalloped, radiused top bracing inside the body, a feature normally found only in limited run, hand-made guitars. By scalloping each brace by hand, the natural sound of the acoustic is focused more toward the center of the body, enhancing the instrument’s sound projection. The lightweight bracing pattern inside the Custom L-7C Acoustic Archtop is a recreation of the acoustic archtop “X” bracing used by Gibson in the early 1900s. Like the bracing inside Gibson’s famed Super Jumbos, the archtop “X” bracing pattern is constructed to support and strengthen a very large surface, thus allowing the top more freedom of movement and focusing the sound toward the center of the body. The result is maximum sound projection, and Gibson’s incomparable acoustic tone."

Danny W.

Danny W,

I appreciate the clarification on the X bracing. Perhaps the Legrand provides the best of both worlds as an acoustic and electric archtop.

Danny W,

I appreciate the clarification on the X bracing. Perhaps the Legrand provides the best of both worlds as an acoustic and electric archtop.

I have had quite a large number of carved-top guitars and have found the ones with the biggest acoustic voice aren't always the ones that sound the best with a floating pickup. When Gibson made the Johnny Smith they were striving for a wide, smooth acoustic response that would match well with a JS pickup, and both my LeGrands seem to achieve that, but if I needed an acoustic guitar they would not be my choice. Luckily, I haven't played an acoustic gig in thirteen years. <_<

Danny W.

I have had quite a large number of carved-top guitars and have found the ones with the biggest acoustic voice aren't always the ones that sound the best with a floating pickup. When Gibson made the Johnny Smith they were striving for a wide, smooth acoustic response that would match well with a JS pickup, and both my LeGrands seem to achieve that, but if I needed an acoustic guitar they would not be my choice. Luckily, I haven't played an acoustic gig in thirteen years. <_<

Danny W.

Hmmm Every L7C or Non Ive owned had been a parra;ell...

Danny W.

Danny W,

I know exactly what you mean on the Legrand. I'm starting to think that the Legrand is just not fulfilling my desire for a first rate acoustic Archtop. It plays beautifully when plugged in, but acoustically is seems a bit too bright and crisp with not much bottom. I'm going to search for a either a good used Gibson L7 or try to find a new one that I can try. I might even sell the Legrand since my ES175D (not at all good acoustically but really great plugged in) is what I use with the ballroom dance band.

Thanks for your valued opinion,

Archived