Gibson Brands Forums

Gibson explorer question

Sanitarium

Hello!

as you see in the picture i am thinking of adding this tape to my explorer 76 reissue, but i have a question. If I someday in the future would regret it and remove it will it be difficult to remove the glue and will it in someway destroy the wood? and please tell me if you think it looks cool or not! thanks! :)

My link

I see what your going for but I would say no.

For one thing it doesn't go with white pick guard.Maybe white stripe instead of yellow.

Maybe if the pick guard had some yellow stripe.

And if you do decide to put on cut the yellow part out and just use that so there is less tape on guitar.

As far as what the tape might do to guitar over time. I don't no.

But I would never put tape on my guitars.

I don't know what it will do on black, but I can tell you it makes a MESS on white!!!!!

I have an 85 Explorer "designer series" and as a kid I put a bunch of stickers on it. I tried a year ago to remove them and while I was able to get them off without and finish damage, what I found was that where the white had "Yellowed" under the stickers did not.......so now it has a cool vintage looking yellowed patina with whiter squares and circles, etc.

I've tried a few "mild" methods like buffing, etc and nothing has helped it.

101_0112_zps3bebae92.jpg

Again, not sure about on black, but either way, if you do it........don't leave it on for long periods of time.

NHTom

Hello!

as you see in the picture i am thinking of adding this tape to my explorer 76 reissue, but i have a question. If I someday in the future would regret it and remove it will it be difficult to remove the glue and will it in someway destroy the wood? and please tell me if you think it looks cool or not! thanks! :)

My link

BEWARE OF THAT! It would mar the finish forever.

The previous owner of my tobacco sunburst 1978 S-G Standard had applied some black and silver adhesive stripes on it. After purchase in 1982, I removed them, and the guitar is basically a subject for refinishing since then. No way of polishing that off. [crying]

Archived