Gibson Brands Forums

LG-1 Vs B-25

DCBirdMan

Even tho B-25s aren't all that well thought of...except for maybe the first several years ... being X braced wouldn't they sound better than any LG-1 ladder braced model?

Also if B 25s had a plastic bridge from the get go, the early B25-12s did not?

LEt me know - -I am interested !

Not a fan of any ladder-braced Gibsons, as I'm fascinated that they bothered at all, when just a change in bracing created such a superior sounding guitar, especially in the capacity to have a little thump in the bass. My '67 B-25 compared favorably to my mid fifties LG-2. When I played an LG-1 or LG-0 for that matter, it just wasn't there.

B-25 are just renamed LG-2s.

The sound is quite different between the X-braced LG-2/B25 and the LG-1. I am not totally familiar with the evolutions of the LG-2/B-25 in the 60s, but a lot of people don't like the plastic bridges from the early 60s. That having been said, we have a 62 Hummingbird with an adjustable bridge that sounds fine and is a strong guitar.

Here is a pairwise comparison between a 59 LG-1 and a 46 LG-2.

https://vimeo.com/album/1859285/video/50912314

Best,

-Tom

I guess the scholars know if there were any changes in 1962 to the B25 from the LG 2. Maybe none. But it seems like although the earlier B-25s were said to ahve lighter bracing, they had the plastic bridge which wasn't so great. So X braced even 70s B25 beats a 1950s LG-1

Archived