Gibson Brands Forums

Which hard case for L 00?

Idaho

I'll be transporting a vintage L 00 by auto from the Phoenix, Arizona area to my home next month. The case it has now is little better than stiff cardboard, so I want to get a decent hard case for the trip. I won't be traveling with the guitar much, if at all, once I get it home.

If you have knowledge in this area, recommendations, what brands to look at, where to purchase, what to look for in a hard case, please let me know.

Thanks in advance for your comments.

FOLLOW UP: I'm editing this post in November of 2014, just so folks running a search on this topic will find out what I discovered in the end.

First, my guitar is NOT an L 00. It's actually a model L1 made in 1930. The case I found that fit it is a Road Runner RRMCG. It is a molded ABS case, with a nice plush lining over thick foam. The case is built up on the inside to support the neck between the headstock and the heel. It fits the guitar perfectly. It locks. It has four good latches to keep it closed. It was made to be used for contemporary classical guitars. I bought it at Guitar Center. It cost just less than $150, but since I'll be traveling with the guitar several times a year for a while, I felt the expense was justified.

If you have an L 00 or an L1 from 1929 or earlier, this case probably won't fit: the lower bouts on the older guitars were more rounded on the bottom. In 1930 Gibson changed designs to put a flatter area around the strap pin.

You can order a Gibson case from a 5 star dealer. They fit perfectly.

Thank you very much. I am humbled by the extent of my ignorance on matters dealing with vintage Gibson guitars and the resources for caring for them and obtaining accessories. That's why I greatly appreciate these forums.

There is a Gibson 5 Star Dealer less than five miles from my sister's home in the Phoenix area. I'll contact them. I suppose they could even furnish replacements for the two missing bridge pins as well as assessing the condition of the instrument.

Have a great day!

We are glad to have you here! Welcome to the forum.

Your local 5 star dealer will likely be completely inept at assessing the condition of your guitar. That's not their fault, vintage guitars are very different from new guitar. It's extremely rare to find someone who is knowledgeable about vintage guitars in new guitar shops.

I suggest finding a qualified vintage guitar shop who is familiar with vintage guitars. There may be one in your area. If not, your best bet would be taking very good pictures and emailing them to a qualified vintage guitar dealer.

If the guitars have the same physical dimensions, try the case from Epiphone that fits the Epiphone EL-00 guitar. I just got one yesterday (ordered from MF). Very nice case which has brown faux leather "pin stripe" binding (of sorts). If you don't care that the case has "Epiphone" printed on it, it may be in the price range, and have the "protective qualities" you are looking for. The case locks, and is supplied with an appropriate key. I'm happy with the case. My Epiphone ES-335 pro electric also fits. The case it a bit wide, but the guitar fits OK, doesn't flop around...and it looks nice too. msp_thumbup.gif

http://forum.gibson.com/index.php?/topic/112343-got-the-epiphone-case-for-the-el-00-nice-case-has-faux-brown-leather-binding/

Archived