Gibson Brands Forums

Question about static and nitro finish

riparius

Admin,

Hi. I just purchased an Historic '56 goldtop (glossy, not VOS). The guitar is currently almost unusable do to static crackling sounds when my hands travel across the pick guard, up and down the neck, or when the back of the guitar rubs across my leg while playing.

Are you aware of any permanent solution to the problem?

Would I encounter a similar problem with a VOS finish?

Many thanks!

we have seen this from time to time, and i'm not sure there is any real solution for it. i have had some of our techs recommend lightly rubbing down the guitar with a dryer sheet (seriously)...also, somtimes the situation alleviates itself when the seasons change.

Good luck, and sorry for the inconveneince :{

Riparius,

this may sound silly, but do you play in a carpeted room? Perhaps wood floors or concrete might help. Definitely some rubber soled shoes should be tried. There is also a way to discharge any built up static from your hands by touching your guitar stand, or any other metallic object. If your playing area and storage area are that dry a humidifier will help. Also if the air is that dry you def want to keep that bad boy in it's case until plying time. If you have a dessicant bag in the case you may want to remove it and put it back in the case in the more humid summer months. good Luck. Me, I would just crank the amp up so that the static wasnt an issue:) are you getting any noise coming out of your amp as a result of this problem? Anyway good luck and congrats on the new guitar. Rest assured that it's probably not the guitar but your climate conditions.

• 2 weeks later...
Riparius' date='

this may sound silly, but do you play in a carpeted room? Perhaps wood floors or concrete might help. Definitely some rubber soled shoes should be tried. There is also a way to discharge any built up static from your hands by touching your guitar stand, or any other metallic object. If your playing area and storage area are that dry a humidifier will help. Also if the air is that dry you def want to keep that bad boy in it's case until plying time. If you have a dessicant bag in the case you may want to remove it and put it back in the case in the more humid summer months. good Luck. Me, I would just crank the amp up so that the static wasnt an issue:) are you getting any noise coming out of your amp as a result of this problem? Anyway good luck and congrats on the new guitar. Rest assured that it's probably not the guitar but your climate conditions.[/quote']

Nothing sounds silly at this point. I've been scouring the net for solutions to what seems to be quite a common issue. I consistently encounter the same advice: dryer sheets, humidifiers, shielding/grounding. Desperation even led me to become curious if an industrial static eliminators like ionizing bars might help (www.exair.com), but I haven't explored it too seriously.

In the meantime I will try to modify my studio to diminish the static. Living in Canada, where it's cold and dry a good part of the time, it's hard to accept that I just purchased a "seasonal instrument" ;-)

The guitar does sound killer though and one way or another I will find a solution.

Thanks for your response!

Archived