Gibson Brands Forums

DR%00MCE neck questions

agradeleous

Hey folks I have the Dr 500 mce was wondering if any users might be having neck or fret board issues ..... I guess what I'd like to know what is the string height at 12th fret suppose to be ? I like the guitar a lot but the action seems to have a need to be to high to stop fret buzz.

would anyone how to check the neck set ?

I don't like having to bow the neck to get it help with the issue I have other guitars that have straight necks with no relief that have no issues with the buzz LOL

I like to also say I use open tunings mostly and understand that adjustments might have to made but but what rattles me is my Ibanez AEL50 does not need any height adjustments for my tunings and I go from D to C and have very little fret buzz compared to the DR so I was wondering what ya all shoot for when doing a set up .

On the DR for open C I had to switch to a custom set of 54-13 to stop the buzzing but on the Ibanaz I still use lights.

another issue I have is the guitar seems to be dead after the 12th fret , the notes just fall out won't clear highs seem ok but lows are very dull .

I do notice a hump not bad but there any way on the High E side at the mount/14 fret .. I had the folks tell at GC that all have that I had to laugh as this was the 3rd model I had them ordered that was expectable and none of my so called cheap guitars had any humps at the joint LOL .

I wondering if I should put money into it via a luthier I know neck resets run around 600 + what other may be done . :(

OK thanks for any info you all might give :)

Hey folks I have the Dr 500 mce was wondering if any users might be having neck or fret board issues ..... I guess what I'd like to know what is the string height at 12th fret suppose to be ? I like the guitar a lot but the action seems to have a need to be to high to stop fret buzz.

would anyone how to check the neck set ?

I don't like having to bow the neck to get it help with the issue I have other guitars that have straight necks with no relief that have no issues with the buzz LOL

I like to also say I use open tunings mostly and understand that adjustments might have to made but but what rattles me is my Ibanez AEL50 does not need any height adjustments for my tunings and I go from D to C and have very little fret buzz compared to the DR so I was wondering what ya all shoot for when doing a set up .

On the DR for open C I had to switch to a custom set of 54-13 to stop the buzzing but on the Ibanaz I still use lights.

another issue I have is the guitar seems to be dead after the 12th fret , the notes just fall out won't clear highs seem ok but lows are very dull .

I do notice a hump not bad but there any way on the High E side at the mount/14 fret .. I had the folks tell at GC that all have that I had to laugh as this was the 3rd model I had them ordered that was expectable and none of my so called cheap guitars had any humps at the joint LOL .

I wondering if I should put money into it via a luthier I know neck resets run around 600 + what other may be done . :(

OK thanks for any info you all might give :)

My dr also had fret buzz but a slight truss rod adjustment took care of that I use Masterbuilt lights on it. at the 12th fret it is just under 1/8 th on the low E and about 2/16ths at the treble E, maybe a bit higher. What is happens when you fret at the 3rd fret if it touches the first fret it is a bit to low

My dr also had fret buzz but a slight truss rod adjustment took care of that I use Masterbuilt lights on it. at the 12th fret it is just under 1/8 th on the low E and about 2/16ths at the treble E, maybe a bit higher. What is happens when you fret at the 3rd fret if it touches the first fret it is a bit to low

I get 0.112 top of fret to bottom of string low E at the 12th fret and just under LOL .012 fretting the 3rd measuring the first fret after taking a look from the head stock it plainly clear the saddle has a much higher profile on the low side or the 6th string as does the 1st string high E . It's not matching the curvature of the fret board and bridge it seems it should yes ? not been refreshing my brain on set ups LOL darn I paid for this ! (*^&)&%&$$%##@@%8! LOL

ok nut height at low E from fret board to bottom string is .... 0.040 which could be to low ? ok more research then I believe it's time to take it to a good luteir and shell out the bucks . I'm comparing it my Ibanez AEL50 which is a Gibson jumbo copy if the info is right their pretty close when placed board to board so scale is the same but the Ibanez has a sharper angle on the saddle cut relating to intonation. My B string on the DR500 in open tunings run flat as heck ... most annoying ! and it seems the saddle is to thin to properly accommodate any tapering to try and correct .

I still love the guitar ... wish it came in a rosewood body and Adirondack top with eboney finger board and bridge ... that would be the ticket ! or maybe koa that would cool to LOL

I get 0.112 top of fret to bottom of string low E at the 12th fret and just under LOL .012 fretting the 3rd measuring the first fret after taking a look from the head stock it plainly clear the saddle has a much higher profile on the low side or the 6th string as does the 1st string high E . It's not matching the curvature of the fret board and bridge it seems it should yes ? not been refreshing my brain on set ups LOL darn I paid for this ! (*^&)&%&$%##@@%8! LOL

ok nut height at low E from fret board to bottom string is .... 0.040 which could be to low ? ok more research then I believe it's time to take it to a good luteir and shell out the bucks . I'm comparing it my Ibanez AEL50 which is a Gibson jumbo copy if the info is right their pretty close when placed board to board so scale is the same but the Ibanez has a sharper angle on the saddle cut relating to intonation. My B string on the DR500 in open tunings run flat as heck ... most annoying ! and it seems the saddle is to thin to properly accommodate any tapering to try and correct .

I still love the guitar ... wish it came in a rosewood body and Adirondack top with eboney finger board and bridge ... that would be the ticket ! or maybe koa that would cool to LOL

To be honest mine is the one most want to play it has a loud voice and the intonation is bang on. do your research before the pro set up if it is your last resort than go for it these are true killer guitars in every way. good luck keep us informed

To be honest mine is the one most want to play it has a loud voice and the intonation is bang on. do your research before the pro set up if it is your last resort than go for it these are true killer guitars in every way. good luck keep us informed

yeah well I'm with ya I love the sound / tone but but I also would like a brighter sound the rosewood body would offer more full range tones where as the Mahogany tends to to break up on highs and lows pretty much its straight mid range if your hinting at that in your comment LOL ... but as a whole I love it ... I had it set up by guitar center but he was no true lutheir . My mind set is that at the price and build guilty over all it would be stupid to get rid of it. so I'll invest a little the same luteir said that the nut was mis cut spacing wise and I agree so I'll have him do a recheck quote me a price and take it from there.

This is the luthier I'm dealing with .... http://ncguitarworks.com/home/nc_guitarworks-home.php

only other issue is the nano mag pick up seems to distort under heavier strumming .... why me LOL

the song that the intonation is the most problematic is one I have not released publicly yet LOL .. like I'm some kind of star or something but you can hear it here hmm can't attach mp3 lame ! lol http://www.mediafire.com/listen/3as9txie0vzapba/bending_leaves_24Bit.wav

I'll take this down after a bit after you take a listen it's real mellow and my other friends have to add there parts let me know when you take a listen so I can remove the link . :)

Archived