Gibson Brands Forums

Strange finish checking story...

Jayla

Over on the AGF there's a thread documenting some finish checking that one fellow got on a guitar in December. It seems he didn't wait long enough before opening the case of a guitar that had been shipped to him. Well, he posted some evil-looking pix and got all kinds of comments, and -- lo and behold -- posted back today that the checking has mysteriously vanished. "Check" :) out the thread here:

http://www.acousticguitarforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=142081

Anybody ever heard of this happening before?

I've heard it before, and it makes sense that keeping a guitar warm will give it a chance to heal itself if the cracks are quite new.

I'm pretty sure most of the cracking occurs as the guitar goes from warm-->cold and the finish contracts.

That's why I generally don't bother waiting long to open a cold case in a warm room - in the case of my new j-185 I waited about 20 minutes when the back of the UPS truck it came out of was probably around 20 degrees and my house about 65. It was fine.

Well, he says the checking healed itself, and links to pictures, but the pictures do not conclusively support his claim. The pics he linked to include ones that show the checking, and some others that do not, but I don't see a "before/after" set that were taken with the same light and angles. Has anyone else looked at the pics and were convinced the checking was gone?

The finish will never 'heal' itself. The checks have closed, most likely due to temperature and humidity settling down to match the environment in which it lives. I doubt the finish will ever re-congeal into a solid, uninterrupted mass it once was.

As the guit tar ages the finish will shrink and the checks will, miraculously, re-appear in exactly the same configuration seen in the early photos. I admonished the owner to apply for any warranty or shipping damage due.

Archived