Gibson Brands Forums

Thread Title Deleted by Author

SoundMaster

I got 2 disclaimers. 1 is I have not tried pickups since around 2010 or so. The other is that I THINK that at some point sinse 2008, Gibson changed magnet wire suppliers.

If the magnet wire has been changed from one supplier to another, I don't know if it is better or worse, or if it would make a difference that was significant.

I have tried Gibby P-90's as well as other brands, in various guitars, and still have some. I have also tried the Gibby mini's that were at one point only sold in some models, like the gold-top "deluxe" reissue. Tried some others too.

As a general rule, P-90's can be reactive to the guitar they are put in, and can be "peaky" in the treble, but usually not in an LP. They are both fat and colorful, and have a lot of overtones. Generally not deficient in the treble or muddy, BUT, depending on the string height, amp, etc., they can be a challenge to dial in or adjust if you are trying to go this way or that way.

Mini's, regardless of the guitar, remain one of the more consistant pups. They have a very strong midrange, and this can make for a very mean, crunchy sound. To some ears they can sound bright, but this is usually due to the fact they don't have as much bass as a lot of pickups. Much less than a standard humbucker. The treble is not peaky or out of control. Easy to work with, you can dial in as much bass or treble as you need (as in amp controls), but the midrange is something that is always there and dominant.

If swapping them into an LP woth soapbars, I would expect the overall tome to be brighter. I would expect them to be quiter and more "smooth" in that regard, and more crunchy. I would also expect the guitar to loose some punch and harmonic flavor.

All pickups are good at stupid volumes like we used to play. That's the "tones" everyone wants.

All pickups are exponentially more mediocre as volumes go down and artificial means of copping those classic "tones" are needed.

With those two things said, the first one isn't exactly good because we can't play that loud anymore. The second one isn't exactly bad because I've managed to get some pretty convincing decent sounds out of all kinds of pickups these days, recording silent and direct as well.

P90s are great through about a dozen speakers, they can't help themselves like that. Down low volumes, in the studio, their noisiness becomes more an issue, but isn't insurmountable.

Minis are even more mid-heavy than Mr. Stein let on. Mid-heavy to the point of being well hated.

You have to try them. Specs are a neccesity so that people that have no idea what a pickup is can believe they have some idea what a pickup is, but they don't tell you anything about how they sound, only you can do that.

rct

The thing with P90s is that Seymour and Lindy both make superb versions, and Lindy gets them as quiet as possible same as he does for Teles. So a guitar that is sorta dullish maybe with P90s can easily be fixed up by them two guys. Good luck with it. I actually lack P90s at the moment, I traded my last P90'd double cut LP that I should have kept, in 08 or so. I need to run into a pair in a good guitar!

rct

Well, unfortunately, one more disclaimer:

I didn't find "A5" mini's on the Gibson site. The traditional mini's I found (The reproductions of the American Epiphone as used on the Deluxe) are A2 magnets.

If we are getting into firebird pickups, they are all over the place as far as how they were made, what they sound like, and this includes other makers who have taken up the cause.

As far as I am concerned, a true vintage-spec, vintage build of the ORIGONAL firebird pup is long overdue. But there could be a reason why none of the pickup makers has chosen to make them that way.

As far as I am concerned, a true vintage-spec, vintage build of the ORIGONAL firebird pup is long overdue. But there could be a reason why none of the pickup makers has chosen to make them that way.

Probably because the oh so over hyped and over priced pickup would sound just meh, as they very often did.

rct

The 'new' minis are on the 2012 70s Tribute, which is also on my 'short' list...but I can't find one. So I figure if I get a 2013 50's Tribute and don't like the P90s, I would perhaps install the minibuckers.

After reading both rct's and your info, I do hope to secure a '13 50s Tribute.

Yeah I figured as much with the A5 minis...you've both been a great help. Thank you.

Ah, I see now.

Personally, I would NOT buy a guitar based on what pickups it had, because that is the easiest to change. Things like weight, tone, feel, color, etc, these things can not really be changed. And, me, I ONLY buy guitars that I can play first and then only if they touch me, connect with me.

A guitar will have an inherent tone and personality and it's own accoustic tone even though it is electric.

I should add, I am the kind of guy that will gut a guitar and replace the whole electronics to what I think it should be, even if it has good electronics to begin with.

Having said that, if you are going to plan on swapping pups or have the option, you have to consider what is available to begin with. You are not likely to find these A5's available unless someone has ripped them out of a guitar and but them up for sale.

The only way you will know is finding a guitar and playing them yourself. If you can't do that, you really want to take a chance on what is basically an unpopular pup only sold in a guitar as a "specialty"?

P-90's, on the other hand, are popular, tried and true, and there is losts of poeple both using them and making them. It doesn't nmean the A5's are bad (or good or whatever). It does mean you will find more info and opinions on the old standard, more expertise, and more to relate too.

Archived