Gibson Brands Forums

Standard Vs. Classic?

highenuff89

Well I finally decided to take the plunge, however I have one final question.

Standard, or Classic?

As far as I can tell the only differences are the pick ups -which I will swap out regardless of what model I get, and the ivory inlays.

Anything else?

What do you guys suggest.

I play everything from Zep through modern/metal/rock/alternative, etc..

Thanks for the input.

If you can, get a standard;I had a 2003 LIghtburst Classis which a changed the pickups but she never sounded like a Standard. Standard may be having better woods plus AA maple flame top. Also get the Standard with 50's neck; the more wood the fuller the sound is. So i finally sold the Classic and got me a second hand 2003 Standard. If you have choices try also a Standard from the 90's decade, no flame top but sweeter sounding.

Would there be any differences between Standard 60s neck and Classic besides the pickups and the saddle?

I've been always curious about this, too. How can one tell if the standards were made with "better" wood than

Classics? From looking at both Classics and Standards, the maple top quality seems to vary a lot from individual

guitar to guitar.

Would there be any differences between Standard 60s neck and Classic besides the pickups and the saddle?

I've been always curious about this' date=' too. How can one tell if the standards were made with "better" wood than

Classics? From looking at both Classics and Standards, the maple top quality seems to vary a lot from individual

guitar to guitar.

[/quote']

Bingo!!! It all depends on the particular guitar, be it Standard or Classic, it's gonna vary from one to the other within the same model line, let alone two different models, I happen to think the Classic I have is an absolute MONSTER, this thing rips, but that's just me I guess, some people like 'em, some don't. Big selling point for me was the price.

I wonder if Gibson LP Standards w/ 60's neck come from the same production line as the LP Classics do.

"Just put different pickups and a higher price tag on a Classic body, you have a Standard with 60 neck!" sort of deal...

I personally like the 60's slim neck and 496R/500T pickups better, so I guess my vote goes to LP Classics!

I wonder if Gibson LP Standards w/ 60's neck come from the same production line as the LP Classics do ?...

can one of the admins give an answer 2 this, i wonder ?

if u r interested in the history of how some of these guitars were actually made & the people that made them,

there is a book titled Gibson Guitars: Ted McCarty's Golden Era 1948-1966.

of course, that was then & this is now, & things change... :)

but the LP still rules !!!

frosty :)

Archived