Gibson Brands Forums

Les Paul Plustop Pro with Bigsby?

Maxowusu

Hi everyone!

I'm currently looking for a les pul, and i have decided that I'm going to buy a Epiphone les Paul Standard Plustop Pro Desert Burst limited edition, but I have a small question: Should I install a bigsby on my epiphone? I really like the sound of a bigsby, but someone told me that it recks the quitar tone wise. Is that true?

Thanks in advance!

Max

Not true at all...but you may also want to add a roller bridge or change to graph tech type graphite infused plastic saddles. By doing one of those 2 things when adding a Bigsby tremolo tailpiece and a "tusc" or similar type nut and you should have minimal tuning or string breakage problems...heck, even without those modifications, an added Bigsby should work just fine. Just type in "bigsby" into the search field in the upper right corner of the screen and you'll have more information about Les Paul guitars, as well as others, with Bigsby tremolo units installed, and what it involves to take a stock guitar, and install one on to it. Also, whomever told you that, imho is not a very well informed or experienced person when it comes to Epiphone and Bigsby's, but that's just my own humble opinion. I would believe that might be said of any electric guitar with a bigsby attached, solid, semi and full hollow body. And not just Epiphone, but any and all guitars with one of those things installed. Does it effect"tone" ?, well, maybe a little. Does it kill the "tone" ? not at all, in some cases the "tone" may be enhanced. Again, just my own humble opinion. I dig bigsbys, every guitar should have one. Again, just my own opinion...I wouldn't be concerned...go for it and wang awaymsp_biggrin.gifmsp_thumbup.gif

Also, please post a picture or 3 of subject Epiphone Les Paul Plus-Top Pro with the Desertburst finish. Before and after shots please. You might also want to get mounting kit adapter so as not to drill holes in that nice figured top and a "vibramate" to change strings fast and easily. I'm sure others can recommend the correct bigsby unit and adapter for your instrument.

http://www.vibramate.com/index.php

Don't be a stranger, and good luck. Installed properly, the bigsby with the additional mounting bracket adapter, and vibramate installed on to your Epiphone Les Paul guitar should be all setmsp_thumbup.gif and please, post a pic of that guitar, it sounds like it's as if it's really nice onemsp_thumbup.gifmsp_thumbup.gif

Also, please post a picture or 3 of subject Epiphone Les Paul Plus-Top Pro with the Desertburst finish. Before and after shots please. You might also want to get mounting kit adapter so as not to drill holes in that nice figured top and a "vibramate" to change strings fast and easily. I'm sure others can recommend the correct bigsby unit and adapter for your instrument.

http://www.vibramate.com/index.php

Don't be a stranger, and good luck. Installed properly, the bigsby with the additional mounting bracket adapter, and vibramate installed on to your Epiphone Les Paul guitar should be all setmsp_thumbup.gif and please, post a pic of that guitar, it sounds like it's as if it's really nice onemsp_thumbup.gifmsp_thumbup.gif

Thanks for the reply! It's realy nice of you! He said to me that if i would use a Bigsby, it would untune the guitar, but as you stated that isn't true :P. I will post the pictures! I first have to find the les paul with the desert burst I would like, because it looks like there are 2 kinds of desert bursts?

Desert burst 1

Desert Burst 2

I only seem to find desert burst 2, but i want desert burst 1. The burst on the first picture looks darker, or are my eyes deceiving me?

Thanks for the great information and reply!

Max

OK, let me state this, if you over use the Bigsby vibrato with super aggressive whammy action, yes, your guitar, or any guitar with one of those on it will come out of tune a bit. There are other, different types of whammys that are made to return to proper pitch with aggressive action on the bar, both sharp and flat. If you plan on using a Bigsby in that manner, you'ld probably be better off with a guitar with one of the "other style" trem/whammy units on it.. But, if you use the Bigsby the way it was intended...to add "shimmer", well you should be all set...just don't go all "VanHalen" on it, and you should be all set... OK...Look at some video's to get a better idea of how a Bigsby tailpiece is supposed to be used, and again, put on a roller bridge or graphite saddles and a graphite infused nut, or even a roller nut, and that will make your Bigsby return to pitch a bit better than without (I believe that has been most other's experience with Bigsby's too) Good luckmsp_thumbup.gif

Archived