Gibson Brands Forums

Black Inlays on Maple Necks

johnnybgoood

I, your humble pedestrian, white trash guitar player from the 70s sez:

1. There is a company on the other side of the country that makes maple necks with black inlays. Just sayin.

2. Seriously, when drummer boy starts wailing away and the keys guy ruins your ear canals and the bass player is causing your guts to churn, nobody can hear yer pots. Just sayin, again.

3. "50s wiring" means, in short, not to piss anyone off here, absolutely nothing. I can pick up pretty much any Les Paul anywhere, from any decade, and get some pretty great Les Paul sounds out of it, no matter what the wiring. The wiring is the absolutely last thing I would ever look at as far as what the guitar realistically sounds like when used realistically. If it has decent pickups in it, it'll sound good most of the time, and any wiring change is not going to be all that dramatic. If it sounds like crap to begin with, no wiring change is going to un-crap it. That's my experience.

I'm sorry I said all those things.

rct

This. [thumbup]

My old keyboard player, who was a helluva musician BTW, had a way of never picking his hand up off the keys. And you know how electronic keyboards have infinite sustain. After I got home from a gig I would still hear those shrill chords ringing all through my dreams. :rolleyes:

Archived