Gibson Brands Forums

Callaham tremolo block - initial impressions

RichCI

Hi, I just registered I'm Craig live in Sydney I was researching Callaham blocks for weightand found this thread.. I use Les Pauls but am forever refining the strats I have. I had a Callaham Vintage spaced trem and block that unfortunately brought the strings too close to the edge ( common on USA necks which I use ) It was a mistake on my part Sold it and by luck on eBay found the Callaham trem that has vintage spaced mounting plate but with a narrow string spacing ...that trem is a gem and worth every penny Obviously its not inexpensive but it made a definite difference to tone and ( usually) returns to pitch .I order4ed a longer arm ( long enough to extend to the neck pickup ) Took me a while to get used to it but now couldnt see going back to Fender Its the first trem ( I've been playing since 71' ) that I've encountered that stays in tune and Iam aggressive at times when using it . I asked Bill Callaham to set another aside for me in January,as it had a limited run. I couldnt go ahead with it due to $$$ commitments that took priority. Tonight I'm going to phone and email to purchase it and say sorry.and hoping he forgives me and has one set aside.

, I think a lot IMHO dep4ends on your string gauge and no hangups in the nut or string guides

Currently use Stock Fender70's F style tuners and brass nut

I use 10 13 17 26 34 44 in Standard tuning and slightly heavier in Eb and the trem is set to float with 3 springs ( triangle pattern) The TRem will pull up one step on the G string So if you trillon the 4th fret to the open G string you can pull off the Jeff Beck lick from "The Pump" or create pedal steel type licks .Set up that way

will drop exactly one octave on the E string before the block slams into the wood

I've considered filing the cavity away slightly to drop further beyond one octave but so far have left it as is

I did need to file some of the top area covered by the trem plate( approx 1/8 ") as the block was hitting it

Its a Malmsteen 2004 USA body and I use Malmsteen necks This one is a Bullet TRuss Rod model Maple with the Machine Bolt Inserts . I have an Fender natural Ash 73' body ( 3 bolt neck attatchment ) that I originally purchased that neck for as it allows for a 3 bolt attatchment but this guitar is great as is so reluctant to mess with it.

Anyway going on a bit long here ... Personally I love the Callaham and before deciding to make the call to Bill Callaham swapped in a 2008 Fender Vintage trem (which also has the narrower string spacing but with vintage spaced mounting holes.....was like night and day

Brittle sounding and lighter in weight. I'd be really interested on the actual weight difference. free to ask any questions

Very cool, Reverb Addict. I think the stable tuning you're having is probably more of a result of the the nut than the Callaham parts or anything else. At least, in my experience, most tuning issues with a trem on a Strat are caused by 1) the nut and 2) the string trees. I've been trying to hunt down a set of staggered locking tuners for my Strat to help stabilize my Strat; I haven't had any luck due to parts being out of stock but, then again, I haven't looked in a month or two.

Lately I have become quite enamored of position 5. I never used to use it but lately it just sounds great to me for some reason.

You da' man Surfpup....I feel the same way. I never stray too far from position 4, but number 5 is sounding sweeter to me these days.

Funny' date=' Rich why not just put the trem all the way back or add extra springs? Almost same effect except the trem can still go flat? Just wondering if I have been doing it wrong all these years.[/quote']

Here are my thoughts; keep in mind that I'm no physics expert...

First' date=' I don't set the trem to float; I always have it back against the body for bending the pitch down and not up. So, we can rule that out to a point.[/quote']

eusa_dance.gif

That's exactly what I do, but for a different reason. I tend to play too heavy and, with a floating trem, I hit the string so hard that it makes the bridge dip just enough to make the guitar go flat for a second. I have no problem bending strings up in pitch and I'm not a big user of harmonics (outside of pinch harmonics) so I don't need the trem to bend the pitch up. So, for me, keeping the trem back all the way serves my purposes and I think you get a bit more sustain out of the guitar since the bridge is making more contact with the body.

Brittle sounding and lighter in weight. I'd be really interested on the actual weight difference.

I read the Callaham block weighs 12 ounces, while the steel GFS block is 8. (coincidentally only $20). There are brass blocks that are heavier still. I'd like to hear before / after sound clips - with the same strings.

Hi Rich and 80LPC , yes I agree ( nut string trees are a amajor factor in the setup) I'm replacing the string trees with the type on the Fender Deluxe on a neck over the next month ( not for any real reason other than they look like a good idea ) and like yourself waiting on locking tuners/staggered which enables you to by pass the string tree if you want. I have a staggered set of Vintage LOcking tuners on one neck ( Gotoh ) Very easy to install and although the bushings were larger lipped ( used the original Fender bushings )I can recommend those .They are all over eBay and affordable Stew Mac have the non staggereed version Considering Fender Schaller ( brushed chrome ) for a Rosewood Malmsteen neck as I'm building a JBeck strat either with the 73' Natural Ash body or picking up a JB Body off the Stratosphere on eBay.

Re the Cal;laham blocks... a lot can happen in a day Tried phoning but couldnt get through to Callaham

Bill Callaham will probably never want to hear from me again if happens to read this ..... check this link out..

http://www.killerguitarcomponents.com/Our_Products.html

.Brass Mega Mass block , same specs as the Callaham top plate, which IMHO makes a huge difference Sandy the man behind the product was good person to chat with , sense of humour and patient

I'd considered them a few months back but got no reply from an email I sent..........today wondered about the Brass blocks weight.

He ( Sandy )said that the KGC standard block was equal to Callahams and their larger block ( which is what caught my attention is considerably heavier) He weighed it while we spoke and got 11.5 I'm not great with numbers butI think it was 9.5 on the standard block I see that 80LPC ( How are you ) has posted the weight at possibly 12 ounces so I'll need to checvk with Sandy again. I was nt feeling tto good at the time as I had to help pull the ceiling down from my kitchen with a plumber who had no idea what he was doing...dust everywhere I was running around tring to protect everything and avoid asbestos dust The ceiling thing happened unexpectedly originally he had said " I just have to cut a small hole and look at the leaking pipe" I said great...I'm a bit worried about Huntsman ( harmless but large Australian spiders that live all over my yard )living up there and that the whole thing may come down, which it did...So I wasnt at my best and possibly a little intoxicated Back to the subject. Anyway I'm probably getting one of each KGC Brass blocks and the KGC top plate and interchange the blocks to see how they go He came across as very honest and I got the feeling its not just about the $$ He admitted to me he would need to weigh it and couldnt say exactly He was somewhat shy about having to charge extra for a custom order he's played for 40 years and is an enginneer and possibly inventive/genius As you can tell, he won me over ...so looks like I'm going Brass

I went to the site . Just waiting on a quote Not sure how to post photos on this thread

Brass.......... Its a softer metal which I personally like Its on most ofmy guitars actually in some form ( nuts ) Have a Washburn A-20 ( old 79' neck though destroyer type guitar that I use for slide ) and an A20V same vintageThe A20 was a prototype and has brass all over it including the fret dot markers Both are great instruments , very slim V profile necks . The 73' body ( fender Strat ) is natural ash so I figure brass would complement that body as its bright sounding/particularly with a maple neck Brass having a warmer tone...apparently Anyway thats my day Bye for now Hope this posts are not too long Let me know

Specialty Guitars sell a steel block made by Callaham to pre-CBS spec. This weighs 10 ounces. There are titanium blocks available for a mere $200 that some swear by....yet titanium is a very light material of course (and it's not as rigid as steel).

All we seem to have so far is anecdotal evidence. I'm happy to fit a steel block because that was the original spec, and the zinc block from the early '70s was clearly a cost-cutting move.

By the way, dealing with asbestos has become a very expensive process in the uk requiring full protective gear. Keep well clear of it !

Thanks for the warning good advice ..I worked with it unfortunately years ago unknowingly Its all over buildings here in Australia We put masks on quickly when the ceiling started falling away It was wet from the broken pipe which lessend the danger.

Could I please ask for an opinion

I've commited to the KGC Brass Strat Top Plate in a polished finish with a KGC- VMM ( Mega Mass ) Block

I have an option of having the Brass Top Plate chrome plated ( for no upcharge ) and plated in Gold( for $20 more which is fair enough)

. There's a months wait on the Gold plating but less than 2 weeks for the Chrome plating. I'm not in any rush but dont want to make a mistake in placing the order.

He ( Sandy ) is levelling the baseof the saddles height screws ( Graph Tech Ferra Glide )so that they sit flat on the Top Plate ( graph Tech saddles being recommended for use with the assembly ).....

I've gone with a polished brass finish as I felt that was easier to clean up with micro mesh if need be...but now I'm wondering if I should have it Chrome plated......

Not for cosmetic reasons but how it will affect the bridges tone. I can ask Sandy for his opinion on this , but I feel I need an outside opinion I'm thinking the Chrome plating would add some mids to the brass "heavy" bridge and am concerned it may be too dull unless its on a Ash body ( wehich it may end up on )

I'd hoped to swap it around as the block is compatable with the Callaham Top Plate.

Any advice would be appreciated. Sorry to read that the arm broke off in the Callaham.

I'm sure you are thinking too deeply into the possible tone changes with chrome. Chrome is an incredibly thin plating that will not affect the sound of the trem in any way. Brass will quickly tarnish - I would have chrome myself.

Regarding tone in general, small changes in guitar tone can easily be compensated for with your amp eq.

I went with Chrome Thank you for your advice. Lots of variables affecting tone My instinct was to have it plated and advice from a tech here in Sydney was also chrome ... worse case scenario I'll use the block with the callaham plate and Graph Tech saddles. Anyway its ordered and should have it in approx 2 weeks as its a custom order ( vintage mounting with narower string spread ) I'll let you know how it works out. THe KGC mega mass block was the main reason I went ahead as it has the extra weight and a bevelled profile .... hopefully wont be hitting the bodies cavity when lowered.

re the locking tuners... heres a link

http://stores.shop.ebay.com/ABSOLUTE-BEST-GUITARS-and-MUSIC_Gold-Fender-Parts_W0QQ_fsubZ13924066QQ_sidZ9877724?_nkw=locking+tuners&submit=Search

The seller is Seyanne has theGotoh vintage staggered locking tuners back in stock and also the Fender schaller type in brushed chrome.....good price and selection of hardware. I'm giving the Fender Schaller a go

Thanks for all your help bye for now Craig

• 4 months later...

Its taken quite a few months, but heres a footnote to the thread

I'm not sure if KGC was just about to be "discovered" or I just got very lucky, but the KGC blocks are fantastic.

I wont try to compare with Callaham, as the blocks are so very different,

particulary with the KGC Mega Mass blocks ( weight )

I've now recieved 3 KGC Mega Mass American Standard blocks , 2 of which are installed

I also recieved initially a Custom Vintage Mega Mass Block and KGC top plate ( Chrome Plated ) plate

The plate was custom built to help it drop into a 73' trem cavity withoiut having to modify the cavty lip

Unfortunately it didnt quite pan out as I'd hoped due to this 73' strat having a non symmetrical cavity lip

I've ended up using that block with a Fender top Plate on another strat body

So today, I'm mainly commenting on the blocks themselves , rather than the KGC assembly as a whole.

As a whole, non floating acting as a hard tail , there is a major difference in tone, hard to describe but very positive.

Highly recommended if you want to use the assembly as a hardtail bridge.

Personally, I want a floating trem,

The cavity rout on this 73's body, which looks non symmetrical in places presented a problem and unfortunately didnt pan out.

Sandy ( KGC ) did their best, made a number of top plates for me without charge

So 10/10 for customer support.

Loaded into another strat alder body( attatched to Fender top plate which has Vintage mounting hole spread with a narrower 2 1/16 " string spread ) the Vintage Custom MM Block sounds and feels wonderful.

Asthetically , the "Roll Royce" of trem blocks , just beautiful workmanship.

The KGC "American Standard" Mega Mass block ( for modern two post trem )...the same ... a huge improvement both in feel and tone when compared to the Fender block.

I have an American Standard Callam replacement block , but as the KGC is a Mega Mass it would be unfair to compare them .

However I can say they are different both in feel and tone.

I love the extra weight of the KGC , and all KGC blocks have a "flop stop" trem arm design ( eliminates the need to tape up the arm when it works loose in the block. So for me, another very positive aspect to the KGC block..

In the past couple of years I have used a Vintage Callaham assembly and a Vintage Narrow Callaham assembly, both of which are wonderful and major improvement IMO over Fender

In regard to KGC , couldnt speak highly enough about the product and service, Friendly and very good person to deal with in Sandy.

The blocks exceeded my expectations .

All the best to everyone

Craig

Archived