Gibson Brands Forums

Gibson L-130 :) A great guitar

ryancohenmusic

Hi guys - i'm so thankful to be part of the Gibson message board and have a quick question. i've owned this Gibson l130 since 2001 - it's my favorite guitar and my go to for live performances. i have never changed the electronics - I believe it is built with Fishman electronics. my question for you who are a lot more knowledgable than myself is - would I benefit this Gibson L-130 by installing new electonics such as the LR baggs M1? I know Jeff Tweedy of Wilco uses that in his gibson so it can't be a downgrade but the last thing I want to do is install new electronics and find out that I was downgrading and not upgrading! hope that makes sense! thank you in advance and merry christmas!

Hi guys - i'm so thankful to be part of the Gibson message board and have a quick question. i've owned this Gibson l130 since 2001 - it's my favorite guitar and my go to for live performances. i have never changed the electronics - I believe it is built with Fishman electronics. my question for you who are a lot more knowledgable than myself is - would I benefit this Gibson L-130 by installing new electonics such as the LR baggs M1? I know Jeff Tweedy of Wilco uses that in his gibson so it can't be a downgrade but the last thing I want to do is install new electronics and find out that I was downgrading and not upgrading! hope that makes sense! thank you in advance and merry christmas!

IMHO If you want to lose the overpowering "Quack" I'd do it. Great sounding acoustic mic'd or au natural, but that Fishman Piezo Quack Monster is flat out awful! I'd even go K&K mini![thumbup]

I love that reply haha thanks ! :) can you explain more of what you mean by quack! do you prefer k and k over baggs !? I'll look it up!

Listen to this....all quack, under-saddle piezo sound. Totally un-natural and takes away from the great tone of this acoustic.

I totally understand what you mean now! thanks! ok so please tell me what to do. let's say I want to but a k & k pure mini to upgrade from the old electronics - is the pure mini passive? would it still work with a passive pickup? my electronics now takes a 9v battery ... again, excuse the newbie question.

Not only is it possible, but it will sound MUCH better. I'm not familiar with the L-130 bridge plate, but make sure there's enough room on the plate for the three K&K transducers without them hanging over the front edge. Also, when the Fishman UST is removed from the saddle slot, you'll most likely need to install a new saddle in order to maintain the current action/string height. You can use a shim, but to me, it's always best to not have anything sitting between the saddle and bottom of the saddle slot as a variable to possibly affect tone.

As a passive pickup, the K&K produces a good response without a preamp, but a quality external battery-powered preamp will improve the overall tone, volume, and presence. I've use nothing but K&K in my acoustics for years with external preamps, performing in situations from small venues to large concert halls to large festivals, and my guitars always sound pure and natural. I love the simplicity of the K&K and no internal battery to deal with.

Good luck!

DC

Well, Ryan, you don't want a new bridge! I was referring to a new saddle that's placed in the bridge. The bridge itself is attached to the top, while the bridge plate is the piece of wood inside the guitar glued directly to the top under the bridge that protects the top from string ball end damage. The K&K transducers are attached to this wood plate and there needs to be enough space between the peg holes and front of the wood plate to properly accommodate the transducers. Ideally, the transducers should be equally positioned directly under the saddle slot. A good tech can quickly determine this.

The thing I appreciate most about the K&K is it simply amplifies the natural tone of the guitar without added 'coloration' or electronic overtones or 'quack' previously mentioned. Without fail when performing with my Irish/Celtic band in large venues through a house system, during the sound check, I get comments from the sound guys like "You're using K&K aren't you....sounds great and they're the best."

DC

forgive me DC I meant saddle sorry I was going on a 12 hour hospital shift at work and accidentally said bridge! I really wish there was a way to try the K and K in my guitar and A/B it with the fishman that came with the L-130 in 2001 - but unfortunately it's one or the other! is a pickup one of those things that gets better with being more modernized? like is a 2014 pickup much more advanced than a 2001 ?

Archived