Gibson Brands Forums

Gibson Acoustic Electric with K & K mini

ryancohenmusic

Hi guys - quick question , can I take my fishman electronics out of my Gibson l-130 and replace it with a K & K mini (passive) with volume control and use it without a preamp? or will it not run without a preamp or a way to make it an active pickup? I'm sorry for a possibly dumb question - I just want to upgrade the l-130 electronics and before I buy it I wanted some more info. Also - is it an option to leave both electronics in (fishman and k&k) or is that not necessary? Ryan

I swapped out the pickup on my CJ165 with a K&K. I am very happy. K&K pups sound very natural. I wouldn't suggest putting 2 different pups in an acoustic guitar unless it was a designed dual system.

The pre amp needs for the K&K depends on your amp and how it sounds. Try it without and see if you are happy.... if not there are tons of pre amps available. I use a Baggs para DI box and love the sound.

I would not use both systems unless your guitar was wired for it and you could mix the two. I'm not sure what is involved in taking out your old pup system. If it is like the older Fishman I installed on my 018 Martin it is passive and lives under the saddle of the bridge on the outside of the guitar and thus easy to remove. If yours is like this you will need to build a new nut to account for the thickness of the Fishman. I installed a K&K on my Jumbo Martin and love it. There is no volume on the guitar, I use the volume on the amp. I play through a Fishman Loudbox 100 acoustic amp with no preamp and really like it for a very natural sound. However, the K&K I installed is epoxied under the bridge inside the guitar so removing it at a later time would be difficult. B)

thank you guys great input I am running the acoustic into a Bose L1 system do you think that would be enough gain where a preamp isn't necessary? The Bose picks up the acoustic pretty well without a preamp going direct into the acoustic line. with that said I'd like to improve it the best way I can my second option would be keeping my electronics and running it through a LR baggs venue

Archived