Gibson Brands Forums

1959 J45

JohnnyCanuck

Hello, I'm new to the forum, I've got a few guitars, seeing as how the J45 is 50 years old I thought I'd put it up and give it a place in an official Gibson forum. This was my dads, he bought it brand new (because Johnny Cash had one) and I've had it now for about 15 years. Somewhere along the line the case got thrown out, if I remember correctly it looked like fake alligator skin so I have a newer Gibson case to keep it protected but one day I'll try track down the correct case. It sounds great, I know a few people have changed out the adj. bridge but I chatted with George Gruhn and he said to leave it the way it was. Happy Birthday Dad's guitar.

DSC_0070.jpg

Having an original case is nice but don't get hung up on it; those old alligator soft shell cases were pretty awful. Buy yourself a nice hardshell for $100 or so and you're done for life (unless you're happy with the one you have now of course!).

The OHSC (original hard shell case) for these guitar in the late 50s could have been the brown "california girl" case or maybe a black case. The original brown case for the the J45 size guitars are quite in demand. They come up for sale on ebay, they can bring over $400 for a nice one. The brown alligators come up more often and bring $100. As KS wrote the soft case are not much use other than to look correct. The original brown hard cases are good, but expensive. I always like to have a nice original hard case when I can get it.

Great looking guitar and I wouldn't fool with the adjustable bridge.

Terry

The high end original brown case I referred to above had pink interiors, gibson was doing something similar with your USA case. The originals also came with a plain brown, maybe green interior, for less money, still in demand.

It could be the availabe hard case for your late 50s J45 could have been black, many were Victoria luggage cases with a yellow lining. They are very heavy duty. They too come up on ebay and also bring good money.

If you watch ebay have some fun you may find one. Just make sure it will fit your guitar.

Terry

Archived