Gibson Brands Forums

Gibson les paul standard ltd light flame top

hoross

Anyone knows about the Gibson Les Paul standard 120 light flame top? i heard many good things about that guitar it has a skinnier body then a normal les paul and seems that is very easy to play and has the same sound like a usual les paul standard.

Im curious cause they are limited edition and perhaps i would like to buy one of these.

Anyone knows about the Gibson Les Paul standard 120 light flame top? i heard many good things about that guitar it has a skinnier body then a normal les paul and seems that is very easy to play and has the same sound like a usual les paul standard.

Im curious cause they are limited edition and perhaps i would like to buy one of these.

Hello, Hoross.

From my possibly-limited understanding, the Standard and Traditional 120 models are for the 120th Gibson Anniversary year, being 2014, and are therefore limited in that regard - it's a 2014 thing only.

This has however been somewhat disproved, as there is now the 2015 Les Paul Less Plus, which is very similar (thin body, 3 control, etc).

The 120 Light has more in the way of options; you've got 3 flame top finishes to choose from, but all in Honeyburst.

The Les Paul Less+ has 3 different colour finishes but no wood grade selection, and then all the 2015 "upgrades".

The 120 is probably going to end up the rarer of the two birds, but the choice is up to you!

Personally I'm not a fan of the mini-toggle boost switch (which appears on both models) in favour of a tone control, when Gibson have proven that a boost switch can be added with a push-pull / push-push tone control.

Hope this is a bit more information.

http://www2.gibson.com/Products/Electric-Guitars/Les-Paul/Gibson-USA/Les-Paul-Standard-120-Light-Flame.aspx

http://www2.gibson.com/Products/Electric-Guitars/2015/Les-Paul-Less-Plus.aspx

Archived