Gibson Brands Forums

SG owner with a problem...

GhrT

The problem is this: My SG-3 gives an awfully lot of noise when I play it through my amp, an Engl Powerball. You can hear a really loud noise while playing it, since it is really disturbing. I wondered if I would the same effect with my 2 other guitars (Jackson, both equipped with EMG's), and they all sounded clean, no noise at all.

So ****, what's next to do? I screwed down the pups, pulled up the bridge (and gave it a good clean, while I was at it), but it still gave the same amount of noise! I threw open it's back to check the wiring (not that I'm a knowitall about stuff like that, but what the hell), everything looked ok there, so I sealed it back.

Then I thought, what if there's just a problem with my cable? So I unplugged it, grabbed a way older cable that still works perfect, plugged it in and started playing. No noise... for about ten seconds. I turned the pupswitch a couple of times, and at every stand, it responded with the same amound of noise.

The last option I know, is that there would be a problem with the wiring. But I certainly hope not..

If anyone could help me a hand by giving some useful advice to me, it would be welcome.

Cheers

Sounds kinda' like a cold solder joint somewhere to me, depending (as was already mentioned) what KIND of noise you're hearing. It wouldn't surprise me if there's a ground working loose or something. You may wanna' pop it open and do a once-over.

H-Bomb

Archived