Gibson Brands Forums

1988 Sheraton bridge replacement

sandfish

Hi there,

I'm contemplating putting a Bigsby on my 1988 Sheraton, but if I do that, will want to upgrade the bridge to a roller.

From my caliper measurements, it seems the pole to pole measurement is 71mm (I could be wrong here - aren't they supposed to be 72 or 74mm?), and the pole diameter is 6mm. The stud threads into the body are 7mm.

Can anyone recommend a bridge that may just pop on with the least amount of hassle? Oh.. and it has to be gold :)

Cheers,

Nick

Hi there,

I'm contemplating putting a Bigsby on my 1998 Sheraton, but if I do that, will want to upgrade the bridge to a roller.

From my caliper measurements, it seems the pole to pole measurement is 71mm (I could be wrong here - aren't they supposed to be 72 or 74mm?), and the pole diameter is 6mm. The stud threads into the body are 7mm.

Can anyone recommend a bridge that may just pop on with the least amount of hassle? Oh.. and it has to be gold :)

Cheers,

Nick

I just ordered a Wilkinson Roller bridge for my 2011 Epi ES 355 which has the Bigsby B7 on it. You can get the real deal of EBay for $29. If you don't mind waiting for up to 30 days, you can order a Chinese clone on Ebay for $10.95. I could not discern any visible difference. There is a video on You Tube on how to install the Wilkinson. I believe that the model in question was a B33 roller bridge. I measured a post span of 74mm center to center with my digital calipers. The existing post diam. is 6mm. The Wilkinson should just fit over the existing stock posts, which is perfect. That would allow you to return the bridge to stock if you ever want to sell the guitar.

Since you are dealing with the inherent tuning instability of a Bigsby be, I would suggest changing out the nut also. The Graph Tech nut, available on Ebay also, are made for the Epiphone. They are available off Ebay for around $11. They have a PTFE material infused into the nut which makes it self-lub'ing.

AZ Zonie

Hi there,

I'm contemplating putting a Bigsby on my 1998 Sheraton, but if I do that, will want to upgrade the bridge to a roller.

Cheers,

Nick

If your guitar is Korean made, it may have a narrower spacing on the bridge. Brown's Custom Shop sells roller bridges modified for Korean Epiphones. The gold plating on the intonation slides wears off quickly on these, but the rest of the plating seems to hold up fine.

Hi,

I recently upgraded my WildKat with B70 Bigsby to a roller bridge option from NorthWest Guitars (UK).

LINK "http://www.northwestguitars.co.uk/copy-of-high-quality-tune-o-matic-roller-saddle-guitar-bridge-b005/#reviews"

They have a number of models, including gold options, and provide diagrams for each showing the vital measurements etc.

My upgrade fitted exactly onto the existing posts, and was easier to do than replacing a set of strings.

Post edit.. Realised ten days later or so that I'd typed in 1998 instead of the real production date of the guitar, 1988..

So.. Am thinking of not putting the Bigsby on, but just replacing the saddle and tailpiece.. Duesenberg do a saddle which would fit the 71mm pole mounts, but what about a tailpiece? Gotoh?

Cheers,

Nick

Archived