Gibson Brands Forums

Flame Top? I am envious!

MCK

Hi Brookfloyd,

I feel I must apologise for my previous post appearing to 'rub it in' about the finish on your DF. It wasn't until after I had posted my comment that I saw your 'major dissapointment' thread.

I suppose it's down to personal preference at the end of the day...

The point elantric made about the value for money considering the gadgets and gizmo's on it, is absolutely right! When I first stated looking at the DF as a potential purchace, before I knew the cost, I was expecting it to be around £5000. Imagine my joy when I discovered that an instrument that combined my love of guitars with my love of computery stuff could be mine for £2000!? ...I suppose something has to give and in this case it appears it may be build quality.

On another note, this is the first forum I have ever used and I joined it purely to get information on the arrival of the DF, but I have to say that the knowledge and experience that is demonstrated is very impressive with some excelent advice being banded around. I think I may stay for a bit longer...

• Replies 71
  • Created
  • Last Reply

i guess that makes a lot of sense. it sucks though that 20 of the ER's have better tops than most of the DF's! you would think it would be okay to sacrifice cosmetics on the trial run/test guitars since it wouldn't affect playability or tone, but would go ALL out for actual line-up. Wonder if any ER's will ever pop up on ebay/craigslist. might be worth waiting for those who haven't bought one yet

I bet all remaining "ER" ("Early Release?") serial number Dark Fires are in a storage container awaiting Frankfurt Music-Messe Trade Show April 7 2009. They may have a one way ticket to Europe., and if you should stumble on one for sale, it may have a few dings from being a trade show hands on demo guitar - but will no doubt have a killer flame top.

Well' date=' I hope mine takes the cake in the "No Flame Whatsoever" department! Not that I'm happy with that achievement or anything, but I haven't seen another with no flame at all yet. The more pics I see of other Dark Fires the more I think Gibson really didn't care what piece of wood they chose for the tops of these Limited Editions. It seems they installed whatever they had lying around on the shop floor for some of these.

With all the beautiful tops on so many less expensive guitars out there, it blows my mind that every single Dark Fire doesn't have an absolutely perfect and beautiful top.

Here she is... beautiful huh? (that's sarcasm if you're wonderng)

[img']http://www.rainmakerstudios.net/darkfire/top.jpg[/img]

I don't know.....

I for one, really love that top.

Goes to show how everyone's taste is different. All we need to do now is to match the DF with the person of right taste... Anyone out there want to swap a highly flamed top with my #342? ](*,)

Carbonite, if it's any consolation....I think your guitar is georgeous. I bet in the right light the dark areas really show up well as contrast to the lighter areas.

I do realize that aesthetics is a big part of all we desire, but the finish and fit of the guitar is still outstanding, but most importantly is the soul.......and I think the DF has that.

Enjoy ! O:)

Carbonite' date=' if it's any consolation....I think your guitar is georgeous. I bet in the right light the dark areas really show up well as contrast to the lighter areas.

I do realize that aesthetics is a big part of all we desire, but the finish and fit of the guitar is still outstanding, but most importantly is the soul.......and I think the DF has that.

Enjoy ! O:) [/quote']

I don't actually own a Dark Fire. I was replying to someone that didn't like the finish they got. I just think his finish looks nice. Totally different than most tops.

Maybe it's just me but, I think the top looks great... I'm not a flame top fan, at all. I personally love plain tops but, inconsistencies give a top charater... Now, I'm in no way an authority nor fan of flame tops but, that said, I think it looks fine...

it still looks to me as if there is a distinct difference in the QUALITY of these three top-woods, going from high-end to cheap in the order you posted the pics ... it's certainly not normal to have such extreme variances in the wood-type, looks like 'cutting corners' to me and most knowledgable guitar-buyers/vendors/collectors i've asked about this ... will be interesting to see how the new european batch will look ...

personally i wouldn't accept RS or brookfloyds ... this is not the guitar i ordered !

but don't get me wrong, i do think these 2 guitars are quite beautifull in their own right, just not what i fell in love with and what drove me to spend twice as much as originally planned on my new guitar ... :) wether i misunderstood the 'dark fire' name as a metaphor for the flamed top in the pics is not even the question at this level, going from a flamed stripe kinda top to the two completely different kinds above is very surprising for a 'limited edition first run'

a bit like falling for a beautifull girl when you're drunk in a club and when you wake up in the morning sobered up ... you open you're eyes and she's lying next to you without the wig and make-up and with a crust of puke around her lips ... =P~

a bit like falling for a beautifull girl when you're drunk in a club and when you wake up in the morning sobered up ... you open you're eyes and she's lying next to you without the wig and make-up and with a crust of puke around her lips ... :-&

Great metaphor. Extending it further' date=' I would say it occasionally gets even worse. This one is like the time when you wake up and realize the girls has an adam's apple...

Archived