Gibson Brands Forums

Newb with ES-339 Pro - setup trouble

EeDave

Hi all, I've just picked up a new ES-339 P90 Pro, and after putting on a fresh set of Ernie Ball .010" strings, went to adjust the intonation. All but low E and G can be adjusted; the saddles run out of adjustment and are still sharp at the 12th fret. Any ideas? Is there a preferred string I should be using?

I had this problem with my dot studio. I tried flipping the saddles around, was still sharp. I changed the bridge for a gotoh one, straight swap with more travel on the saddles and no retaining wire to rattle! Definitely an improvement. I also changed the nut to a graphtech and lowered the action on the nut slightly. All together it intonated perfectly (for me anyway)

Hello Dave, and welcome here.

Flipping bridge saddles always did the trick for me on both Epiphone and Gibson Tune-O-Matic bridges. Take care that the adjustment screw heads of your Epi bridge are on the fretboard side as this is the way the bridge is designed for, same as Gibson's ABR-1 and in contrary to the Gibson Nashville T-O-M. This gives slightly more travel towards the tailpiece.

Hope this helps.

Ah, much appreciated. I see that the low E already has the saddle away from the nut, but the intonation isn't so far off that it's that noticeable. The G could have the saddle turned around. Interesting that E, A, and D have the saddles pointing away from the nut, and G, B, and E have it pointing toward. Thanks for mentioning the other bridge, Matt, I might look into one if flipping the saddle doesn't fix it. Thanks!

Archived