Gibson Brands Forums

NEW Jimmy Page Les Paul?

58 reissue

Hey guys, did anyone see that new video of the "coming soon" Jimmy Page #2 signature les paul? It look pretty cool, and similiar to previous Page models (or at least the back of the guitar), except at the bottom of the neck heel and headstock black finishes have been added. I'm guessing this is Page's '58 les paul that Gibson is trying to reproduce, and most likely won't have anything new added to it, just the same stuff as older models, push pull pots, etc. How many more Page Models is Gibson going to make, he already has 4 out, starting all the way back in 1995? Any comments?

A mysterious Gibson marketing scheme - just show the back. Get people talking. It worked.

I bought the last Page signature - the Black Beauty. It is a very nice guitar, but in my opinion, after playing it for a year, no way is it worth $6,000 plus applicable tax. No way. I hate to say this but I let my love of Jimmy's playing and persona add almost $3000 to the value - basically I think it's a really good RI but that's it. Oh yeah, that selector switch is not that good.

But I guess if you've got the money and it makes you happy - why not?

I expect this version will carry a heavy price tag as well.

Thanks for the post Joe.

Hi Archer,

I also bought the Page Black beauty last year. I like the guitar, I agree its a very nice reissue, the sustain out of mine is really fantastic, its a heavy bugger on your shoulder after a while. It was pricey, but luckily the dollar was weak against the euro at the time, so that took the sting out of it a bit.

Its cool to have the multipe selector options, but I agree, they are pretty subtle changes on some of them, I really had to alter the tone controls in opposite directions to make a noticable difference.

I guess this latest one will come with the page burstbuckers as its unique selling point with that slight phasey sound, so I guess since I already have them on the black beauty I have that sound pretty much covered. I reckon my next purchase will be an R9 or R0 reissue. I've only got my hands on an R0 so far and I liked it a lot. Similar to the Page black beauty neck. Still have to give an R9 a go to see how big the neck is before I pull the trigger.

I still love my Page Black Beauty, I had big concerns about parting with that kind of cash for it, but i am glad I got hold of one in the end, its a keeper as far as i'm concerned. We all know they aren't going to get any cheaper (great policy when the world is in recession isn't it).

At least I can look back at it as my personal blow out near the end of the boom before the worldwide recession kicked in!

Hi chengin:

Mine is a keeper too. I just wish I had waited and picked up a new one on eBay for closer to $5k. I will not pay a premium for another signature celebrity guitar again.

Oh, but I just bought a Gretsch Billy-Bo - outstanding guitar for the price - $2400. Very unique and the easiest playing guitar I own. Yes, it's a celebrity signature guitar and damn well worth it.

The next two I'm gassing for are the Taylor T3 and PRS McCarty II.

p.s. - I love Ireland - spent 10 days there working on a film - wonderful people and countryside.

Hi Archer, I hear you, I guess at the time I had to buy online, so it was a gamble based on the numbers available etc. they were changing hands pretty quickly on e-bay at the time too so I guess I didn't want to be left empty handed and priced out. Luckily I found a dealer one in the end so I was happy enough about that after much searching. At least we didn't have the horror stories that the Alex Lifeson sig seemed to generate.

I had a good laugh when I saw the prices of the Jeff Beck models, which seems to have less unique features, I won't be rushing to buy one of those.

Glad you had a good time over here, what did you work on, I guess it was a while ago (the weather must have been good!).

I had a good laugh when I saw the prices of the Jeff Beck models' date=' which seems to have less unique features, I won't be rushing to buy one of those.

Glad you had a good time over here, what did you work on, I guess it was a while ago (the weather must have been good!).[/quote']

I worked on a film called King Arthur - lots of fun. Shot on the Guiness estate south of Dublin. Stayed in a place called Grey Stones. Very nice. No, the weather was pretty changeable!!!

The Beck LP - terribly overpriced. I know Beck is a guitar hero but frankly he never moved the needle much for me.

I think they will not hold their value that well...who knows.

That was the one with Kiera Knightley in it wasn't it' date=' I can understand how the weather wouldn't be a problem after that. Thats a great job you have! [/quote']

Right - that was the one. An OK film but being directed by guys who had never done a film of that genre. So it kind of bombed.

We are really off-topic now!!!!

• 1 year later...

Archived