Gibson Brands Forums

EIR Advanced Jumbo Is GONE!

ajay

I lost a good friend this week. I traded my East Indian Rosewood AJ for THESE!4657DB05-67B2-4446-B487-5F1BE33A7849.jpg68017C6D-3043-49FC-BA84-3A2D9182F438.jpg

I do still have my Brazilian AJ, so all is not lost. I was asked to play Rythm in a really decent band, so this week I picked up not one, but two Gibson Les Pauls and this 40w amp, so I'm good to go, and it's going to be nice to get back on stage again after 37 years. I have a pile of charts that I'm workin' on. This will be a nice retirement job, and 60's and 70's Rock is what I was raised on. Now I just have to get a Baggs Soundhole pickup for my KALAMAZOO. No way am I leavin' that Brazilian on a guitar stand while we go out to adjust our attitudes. The first song at the first rehearsal was Bob Seger's Night Moves, and the miked KALAMAZOO sounded great. I think that the all-hog will work out just fine amplified. Peace. 42AD0F6B-74E6-4D40-9B6D-90197AAC1A28.jpgFE08ACD5-D281-43EC-AC41-2924E02EACF6.jpg

Oh, and the guy who got the Advanced Jumbo was complaining because it had PLASTIC bridge pins (the originals) and the action was way too high. I said, "Is Your best acoustic a Taylor?"

I told him that every Taylor that I ever played was set up like a StratocasterI.

I hate playing Taylor's. I love the way the Gibsons are set up from the factory. I had that AJ for 13 years, and never once touched the truss Rod. He had it for two hours and replaced the saddle and probably gave the truss Rod three turns just because he could. Then he was complaining about the way that I put strings on. He was just trying to act like he knows something. I've been stringing guitars since before he was born. I never break strings, and I usually have three smooth wraps below the top lock string. What am I doing wrong?

Oh, and if You want to see his musical genius, go on YouTube and watch "Richie Falise" re-invent musical greatness.

Thanks Tom. I thought that they were. I just don't know why such great guitars sell for about the same money as a J-15. They just don't get the market respect that they should. I'm getting pretty old, and I don't have any kids to hand them down to. I just had a need to electrify, so I took the trade. I actually liked the looks of Quartersawn better, but I couldn't find a trade situation for what I would need to get out of the Brazilian.

I have a God Daughter who is a very sweet girl who plays guitar. She's pretty good, and her dad and I went to watch her at an open mike last year. We were both so proud of her. She is playing my 70's Japanese Epiphone that I gave her, and She loves it. She's fiercely protective of that old dread. Someday down the line She will be playing a Brazilian Advanced Jumbo when I check out. I don't have any kids, but her dad and I have been best friends since high school, and I love her as if she was my own. I think that she will be surprised when the time comes.

She will more than likely have Two Les Pauls, My Dad's 1937 Model 37 Dobro, a '68 Kalamazooo, the AJ, a Gibson Melody Maker Bass, and by then, an old Roland Cube 40 GX Amp and a Roland Micro Cube Bass Amp. She deserves every piece.

1434594062[/url]' post='1667861']

Congratulations on your new adventure! Just wondering - does the Brazilian rosewood sound different than the EIR?

I think that actually the Brazilian is a little bassier. I could always just picture the sound waves bouncing around those big, uninterrupted slabs of Rosewood. I have to say that I let the best one get away, but I tried selling the Brazilian for a while, but no one wanted to pay over around $3100. For what I have in it, I would rather leave it to my GodDaughter than take a $2000 clipping. It's a really bright sounding guitar from the mids-up too. I'm obviously terrible at describing guitar tone.

Also, at practice when I broke out the KALAMAZOO, everyone wanted to play it, which helped me to find the sweet spot for the mike. I'm always amazed when the sweet spot turns out to be right around the seventh fret instead of the soundhole.

Archived