Gibson Brands Forums

Gremlins In My Gibson

ChrisGM

Guest Farnsbarns

You clearly understand what you're aiming for and can't achieve it. I setup by feel with no measurements but if you're unable to achieve a sensible setup you have a problem. You'll either need to return it, get sorted by a pro, or, if you're willing, get involved in replacing g the nut, which might not fix it. Btw, a lot of techs aim for the nut to be no higher or just a shade higher than the first fret so having only a tiny hight above the 1st fret shouldn't be an issue. In conclusion my worthless guess is a bad neck, posibly twisted or posibly s shaped.

Thanks for the added comments guys, this is just an update on what I found...

The neck appears to be fine, not twisted. I took some measurements with a laser level, at six points across the two axis, and taking into consideration the small variants in the wood, frets etc, there doesn't appear to be any lateral twisting...

I found many photos on GI of hundreds, nay thousands, of gibson LP truss nuts, and not one of them looked like mine, attached by a couple of threads, on the contrary, most had the truss rod either fully flush with the end of the nut, or a few threads sticking out. So this doesn't seem to be a "normal thing" ?

Anyway, with the exception of the 1/4 tightening turn of the truss rod nut, I set everything back to how it was prior to the adjustments. Is it perfectly perfect...No, but it will do [rolleyes]

My largest problem now is the [cursing] electrical hum that just started. I thought at first I might have done something to cause it, maybe adjusting the bridge, I might have accidentally broken the bridge ground?

I used a multimeter to test the grounding, and it shows good continuity from bridge to ground. I tried the wire from bridge to jack ground, no change, so it's not a ground fault, in fact I tested the pick ups too, fine.

I thought that maybe because I adjusted the PU's, but they are back to where they were. ](*,)

This hum is pretty bad, when I touch any metal parts on the guitar, it reduces the noise by 98%.

It's only when the guitar is plugged into the amp and the volume controls on the guitar are even slightly turned up.

It happens in all PU positions, it stops when the volume on the amp is down to zero

I've tried two more guitar and several new cables, still the same. I've unplugged all pedals and removed any electrical cables from around the amp.. no change.. so I'm stumped, again LOL

One last thing, the tubes are ok, at least the self check on the amp tells me they are working.

So is it EMI? the old 60 cycle tommy knockers?

Anyone else suffer with this malady ?

The only way I can achieve 1/32nd (2/64) at the first fret, is by raising it to a higher than comfortable level at the PU end.

My thinking is the nut has been shaved down to lower the action from the nut end.

since you're saying you can't get 2/64's only by raising the bridge (you called pickup end)

a new nut cut right should help with the first fret problems and then you can adjust the other end..

just a thought form my seat.

Archived