Gibson Brands Forums

New low frets on 2015 ES

Bernie69

Hi guys

a small batch of 2015 ES models( fresh from the factory + 3 weeks travel throught the atlantic [wink] is available now in France and I have been lucky enough as to put my hands on a brand new ES349 at my local dealer's shop. Once again, a new small size ES and once again a lovely guitar [thumbup] .

Basically it's a 339 but with the same gold hardware as the 349 and a striking 60s cherry allowing to see the wood veins

(there are plenty), the result is splendid .The pups are also vintage , I think close to C57s.

To me the great difference in playing is the change of frets, i've been waiting for this since I bought my first Gibson ES some years ago.

Everything seemed perfect at the time but the frets.I have always found them too high for my taste on any Gibson ES I had played ( although it did not prevent me from buying one).

I have never understood why we could not find it as an option like the Fat neck because cheaper guitars come with more comfortable frets.

On the 349 it plays like a dream and the sides of the fingerboard are very smooth( because of the nibs) and if you add the already very comfy 339 neck profile the result is a very fingers-friendly neck.

I think 2015 models deserve a test because some of you will appreciate the move and it can attract new customers ( or scare some) !

what is your opinion ?

I agree with you about the frets although this never applied to the ES355 which always had the very wide and low flat frets (fretless wonder frets).

When I bought my historic ES345 59 reissue the only thing I didn't like about it was the frets - too high and "sharp" so I had them flattened off by my luthier.

• 2 months later...

I also agree with you regards the frets, I've noticed this very same thing on various Gibson's I've played over the years and it's put me off several times from making a purchase here and there. We all need to actually enjoy playing the guitar after all right, and that's down to personal choice and comfort in that sense.

Saying that, as "Pin" mentions this doesn't apply to the ES355, and certainly not to my 2015 Memphis ES355 where the fret board is just amazing with those very wide and low flat frets - it's an absolute pleasure to play. Even my relatively small hands and fingers glide across the frets unlike any other guitar I've played or own including Fender and Gretsch models.

Archived