Gibson Brands Forums

Washers on LR Baggs element

Mafy31

Hello,

Due to some kind of buzz sound some guy at the shop removed a washer on my LR baggs pickup (one that fits inside the guitar i guess, next to the wood hole for the end pin).

Is there any risk to do so ? I would guess it is risky for wood when we plug/unplug the jacks.

I think there is a star washer inside, and the flat washer was in between wood and star washer i guess.

Wondering if i should put the flat washer back on?

Any of you had this washer "buzz" sound ? (it did not viber on all notes, just some of them).

Yes, a slightly loose interior hex nut was once the cause of a rattling noise... difficult to detect- only vibrated with certain frequencies. Ultimately, all of the LR Baggs electronic guts were removed, retaining only the strap ring and dark, finished washer on the outside, as the hole through the body will no longer accept a standard size end pin (StewMac has a fix for this, but not necessary). Look carefully under your strap ring on the outside of the guitar; the finished (same color as the strap ring) washer may've been removed by your tech as a down n' dirty fast attempt to tighten the end plug assembly, since if he was able to get his hand way down to the endpin to remove the interior washer, he would've had a much easier job just to tighten the nut while he was in there.

Screen%20Shot%202015-09-13%20at%2011.48.41%20AM_zpsz7ufogsu.png

LR Baggs PDF

Thanks for the answear.

The right side washer (strap side) is still here. I think he removed the inside one (left side of the wood, grey color on your picture).

He gave me the washer, so i would guess that the star washer is still there but close to the wood (the white washer on your picture, on the left of the grey one he removed).

I wonder why he did not just tighten it... I might try to put the washer back. On LR Baggs PDF they say to keep these 2 washer in place... ! I'm afraid that in the long run, plug/unplug damages the wood... [thumbdn]

Archived