Gibson Brands Forums

Chameleon tone

Ian Miller

Some questions. First, are there any official definitions of what the various preset tones (blues, twangy etc) are meant to be? Gibson is obviously a Les Paul. and I suspect there are copyright reasons why the others are not spelled out by Gibson - but can anyone set me straight as to what guitars the various settings are meant to be?

Second - I struggle at times to keep the chameleon settings. I set the MCK to "C". and can dial in the various settings but at times when I push the MCK in it goes back to my default as opposed to keeping the tone I have selected. Any insights into what I am doing wrong?

Next, a comment. I agree with other posts that the noises when changing MCK and when tuning ought to be optional as I struggle to see using the guitar live with all these various noises. I also prefer to tune silently.

Finally, is there an easy way (the MCK is not the most intuitive thing I have seen) to set up some preferred combos. Say I want a Tele sound with an open G tuning (to play "Happy" for example) - can I have that as a set up a dial it in? Then have a set up as a Les Paul in normal tuning and dial that in etc?

Many thanks

1) The tone presets are meant as

Gibson = Les Paul

Texas Blues = Neck and Bridge of SRV Strat

Funky = Out of phase funk

Twang = clean Tele

Acoustic = PEQ emulated Acoustic guitar, based on Mags as Source

L5 = Jazz Tone, reduced high, thicker lower mids

Solid Rock = Out of phase rock

Metal = all coils in series like a Bran May Signature.

For further details please take a look at http://forums.gibson.com/Default.aspx?g=posts&t=12677

2)

To select a new Chameleon Tone setup, rotate the MCK to one of the 8 positions in the following table. In each position, the Display Matrix will spell out the name of the corresponding setting. A short press of the MCK will temporarily select a tone setting. Push the MCK back in to use the temporarily selected tone setting. A temporarily selected setting will remain in effect until the MCK is pulled out again. A sustained press on the display at one of the 8 positions will store that Chameleon Tone setup as your default and it will be activated automatically on next startup. The Display Matrix confirms your selected default configuration has been stored by spelling the word “STORED” in green letters. Rotate the knob all the way clockwise after you have stored your setup, or you will not get Piezo output

3) The choice of silent tuning will be offered with a firmware update. Until then you may want to use a volume pedal.

4) You can't store a tuning and tone set in one single preset. You have to activate tuning and tone one after the other. There may be a future firmware, which will allow that in one single preset.

I appreciate the replies. Could I ask Gibson support to comment whether you are meant to put the MCK back to the peg/ballon to keep the chameleon tone.

I also would like to put squarely on the feature request list the ability to marry a tuning and tone to a preset so that you can quickly adjust live to the right tuning and tone - Gibson????

Many thanks

I also would like to put squarely on the feature request list the ability to marry a tuning and tone to a preset so that you can quickly adjust live to the right tuning and tone - Gibson????

That is already there - read the "Unofficial Owners manual"

http://forums.gibson.com/default.aspx?g=posts&t=11786

Storing a Chameleon Tone with a Custom Tuning

Here comes the trick. If you want to link and save this sound with the selected preset (e.g. Delta Blues tuning ) press down MCK for 2 seconds. The message “Stored” appears on the MCK.

Whenever you select this preset (e.g. Delta Blues) all other sound components (Coils+PO+PEG) are switched automatically

Archived