Gibson Brands Forums

QUESTION FOR ADMIN.

roadhog96

Could you please find out for me if Gibson within the last few years ever used PURE NICKEL strings on the Memphis ES-335 Dot. It's driving me crazy why the '06 sounds so different than the new '08. The '08's tone is so brittle and stiff sounding, I even tried heavier strings but it only made it a little deeper in tone, same lousy sound. Someone had told me recently that they believe Gibson used pure nickel strings on some of thier reissues a few years ago. If they did and have now switched to nickel plated steel strings that might be the difference I'm hearing. Thanks

the Memphis folks have been using D'addario strings since the begimnning of '08...your '06 would have Gibson Brite wires on it. the engineer i talked to in memphis also added this, which is a much better worded version of what i said above:

"My two-cents: Comparing Gibson Handmade guitars is never an apples-to-apples scenario, even guitar of the same model pressed, cut, and built, necks hand-rolled on the very same day will each have different distinct sound, tones and feels. This has some to do with the way the instrument is handled in the various processes, but much of which has to do with the wood and the variations in the trees that comprise an individual guitar. In fact, it would be impossible to create two guitars with indistinguishable tones. That is what makes our instruments so very special: they are as individual as each player. This should be celebrated."

Thanks for the speedy reply. My '06 came with D'addario strings. I spotted the colored balls on the end of the stopbar and made a comment to the store manager, I asked when did Gibson start using D'addario strings my '06 LP came with Gibson Brite Wires. He said someone must have changed them he didn't really know why. I don't know why anyone would have changed them, the guitar was new. If a string broke they could have just changed the one string, they have individual single strings in that store for sale. Anyway I hear what your saying about no two guitars sound alike and I'm bummed about it because I've been going round and round for a few weeks now trying to figure out why my new one sounds so crapy. I'm thinking about seeing if they will order a new one and take this '08 back. My luck I'll get another bad one.

the Memphis folks have been using D'addario strings since the begimnning of '08...your '06 would have Gibson Brite wires on it.

I suppose this is an unfair question, but why the switch to D'addario strings? Do they sound better than Gibson strings? Are they longer-lasting? I know that they are cheaper than Gibsons (as are most strings), but if D'addarios sound as good on Gibsons as do the Gibson strings, then maybe I will have to check them out.

Ignatius

Archived