Gibson Brands Forums

SJ-100 Walnut 2016 demo!

Jesse_Dylan

To be left alone, , ,

the most precious currency in the invisible republic where men wear tambourine-crowns and shake ideas off their heads before dawn brings bronze. . .

Ain't that the truth!

I wonder if it's the red spruce top that gives the Bob the edge. I wouldn't mind paying more for a red spruce top, but paying more for a Bob would be paying a lot more!

To be left alone, , ,

the most precious currency in the invisible republic where men wear tambourine-crowns and shake ideas off their heads before dawn brings bronze. . .

I like the way you think.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b2IXS8sI__E

I wonder how much it varies based on subtlety, like how close the player is to the mic and stuff, because this Bob just sounds to me about the same as a normal SJ-200.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9yJ16HfK5ws

Non-Bob

I know people say they can really vary from model to model... I don't hear a ton of variance between these two, despite different species of spruce, and I'd say the MFriend Bob above sounds way different.

Could also be that some are just "opened up" already and some aren't. To me, the blond from MFriend sounds a lot thinner, but I have to wonder how much is due to playing and mic position and how much is due to the specific guitar and the wood differences.

wow that Bob sounds so good. Maybe I wanted to hear a difference but I did. Like Greg said, I'd get it in a second....and run for the border.

Damn that guy is funny..and an amazing guitar player.

OK well I have a tone rite on my Walnut going on 100 hours now. I'll make another recording and see if one can hear a difference.

Lol. Well I've had all 4 in the gibson jumbo body and bubinga is my favorite. It has the darkness of rosewood and the dryness of mahogany.

Interesting. I have owned my bubinga J-100 since 2005. It's a real workhorse. So, you're saying I can stop lusting after the other versions ?

wow that Bob sounds so good. Maybe I wanted to hear a difference but I did. Like Greg said, I'd get it in a second....and run for the border.

Damn that guy is funny..and an amazing guitar player.

OK well I have a tone rite on my Walnut going on 100 hours now. I'll make another recording and see if one can hear a difference.

Heck yeah! I am up for any excuse to hear either of your SJs again, preferably both! Plus, anything that gets me to stop listening to Greg over and over. I thought the "run for the border" was one of his best, followed up by the "run for the border" theme and the "hidden across the border" riff (titles mine). They have a Gregisms Vol. 1 video up somewhere, too, which I highly recommend. I think he gets even weirder when he's demoing the electrics!

Interesting. I have owned my bubinga J-100 since 2005. It's a real workhorse. So, you're saying I can stop lusting after the other versions ?

Well, you can, but really, I mean--you love your J-100 so much, and it's become quite old and special now. It's probably time to buy another SJ, if for no other reason than to protect your special bubinga J-100, and hey, it would mean some variety...

Archived