Gibson Brands Forums

Huge problems with brand new J-45.

Sedandelivery

Thanks for all the quick replies!

I am slowly calming down and I will get a 2nd and 3rd opinion as soon as I can. I will try to get the action measurements and a picture as soon as I can. How exactly do you measure action? One explanation I found on the web says from the top of the 12th fret to the bottom of the string. Is this how most people do it?

Also' date=' if I do need a neck reset, do you guys recommend sending it back to Gibson or having an authorized repair shop close by do the work?

Thanks again.[/quote']

Sedandelivery, what're you measurements ?

- Action at 12th fret

- Action at 1st fret (Nut)

- relief at 7th fret

- max distance from top of saddle at top of bridge

Also' date=' if I do need a neck reset, do you guys recommend sending it back to Gibson or having an authorized repair shop close by do the work?

Thanks again.[/quote']

I've never had to deal with Gibson warranty issues, so somewhat guessing here. Maybe Mike or someone more familiar can jump in on this one. My understanding though is that it's up to Gibson, whether they do it, or if they have the local certified guy make the repair. Anybody know for sure?

On the buzz issue, just wanted to say that buzz diagnosis is a bit like solving a murder mystery. Often, what's causing it is not something readily apparent, and can be something totally unexpected. I once had a J-45 with a buzz coming from the bridge area. Two local repair guys couldn't figure out what was causing it. The guitar had a Fishman UST. Since I don't play amplified, I figured I'd remove it. The UST is powered by a battery mounted on the inside of the guitar and connected by a wire. On my old J-45, the wire was fastened by a bracket to keep it from flopping around. When I removed the ust,. I also removed the battery, brackets and wiring. Voila, no more buzz. I was never sure which part was the cause, maybe the loose wire itself, maybe the bracket, maybe some other part of the hardware, but the point is can be something unexpected and can take a methodical approach to diagnose and fix.

For a very thorough guide to buzz diagnosis, go to www.frets.com. and do a search.

It's first important to understand that there are authorized Gibson dealers and then there are authorized Gibson Service Centers. Not every Gibson dealer is an authorized service center. If you take it to a Gibson dealer who is not authorized to do Gibson repairs, they will contact Gibson and obtain authorization to return it to Gibson for the repairs.

However, if you take it to an authorized Gibson Service Center, I believe they are authorized to make the repair, although they still may contact Gibson for an opinion and approval. I think it all depends on what type of repair you need to have made too.

It's my opinion that if you have an authorized Gibson Service Center near you, it's always best to start with them. I think the overall process can be faster that way.

I think you should be able to find a listing of their authorized service centers on the Gibson website.

Archived